Philosophical consideration of Eucharistic Consecration
I already addressed this in your other post: "I've regularly seen at larger parishes the additional ciboria and chalices well over a foot away from the celebrant during consecration; if this were a significant issue, I think the Holy See would have already addressed it especially considering more significant distance is involved for Papal Masses, for example. As Fr. McNamara says, if the elements are on the altar, there doesn't seem to be a problem."

The very article of Fr. McNamara we both cite from indicates that the common opinion is that if bread and wine are on the altar, transubstantiation will affect all of it insofar as everything else is properly executed. This distance is not of the kind to lead to invalidity.

As Fr. McNamara hints at, the question enters in when the distance is of such a *kind* (not of such a distance per se) that the bread and wine do not have a "direct relationship" to the altar where the Mass is said, but this doesn't necessarily mean they have to be in front or nearby as there are plenty of instances where the elements are not in front or nearby as in Papal Masses or in some large parishes and a valid consecration is presumed to have occurred for all the elements at hand. Therefore, a "direct relationship" must be of the sort that involves immediate participation in the whole liturgical rite itself and not random bread at a random distance that has had no involvement in Mass, whatever else that direct relationship might entail.

Certainly being a few feet off to the side of the priest's direct line of sight would not invalidate consecration... This isn't a new issue.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philosophical consideration of Eucharistic Consecration - by richgr - 12-13-2016, 03:24 AM