A thought about miraculous and mystical events
(03-19-2017, 03:52 PM)Sequentia Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 10:33 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: .My own conversion to faith in Jesus Christ was due to a mystical experience that never happened again, but since that time I've never experienced anything else but semi aridity in prayer. I tend to be skeptical of the miraculous, things like stigmata or even Marian apparitions. I don't personally have much interest in stuff like that but it might just be my temperament. I admit that the Tilma is something undeniable though. That's probably the most intriguing phenomenon in Latin Catholic history.

I've got a sense of the presence of God, the Theotokos and the saints but it's mostly by the luminous Darkness of faith and the habit of prayer than anything else. I guess I don't want to experience something that might make me question my sanity. I'm generally ok with prayer being a drudgery that I can't live without.

I find that for me that one experience I had was enough to convince me ( it's not provable in any way to others) that Jesus Christ is real. I suppose that will have to be the most I get this side of the veil.

I had one mystical experience myself a couple years ago that involved the scent of jasmine flowers suddenly permeating my bedroom. I've never been able to replicate that odor. I try not to look too much into it or think about it, but I read that the scent or rose+jasmine flowers occurs at the tomb of Ven. Maria of Agreda in Spain (the nun who wrote the "Mystical City of God"). Still no idea why a 16th century Spanish nun would want to come visit me, if that's the case. We have to be careful not to intentionally "chase" after miracles, but this wasn't one of those cases.

Unfortunately I still have a hard time believing in God, or rather that God loves me...or any human being for that matter. I do not know what it means to have a "personal" relationship with an almighty, all-knowing, all-powerful God. Having a "relationship" with God is only a concept or idea to me, not an actual person.

This is something I struggle with, sometimes mightily, too.  How does a human person, a creature, have a personal relationship with an omniscient, omnipresent Creator of all the universe?  Just how does that work, in practice?  Okay....we can think about Him, try (yeah, right...) to conceptualize Him, pray to Him, "talk" to Him, etc., etc.  But sometimes, maybe more often than not, how do we know that His "replies" or whatever are not just our own inner dialogue or noise in our heads?  Okay...God became man in Jesus.  But Jesus was only incarnate and on this earth for approx. 33 years.  Then....poof!!..."up" (if this even involves some kind of physical directionality) he went to heaven....In my more difficult and doubtful moments I can't help but wonder how that fosters any kind of "personal" relationship??  But...hey...I just keep on plodding on, saying my prayers, reading my spiritual material and Scripture, living my life as closely to how I think God want me to, and, well.....hoping for the best, whatever that might turn out to be. :Hmm: :Hmm:

Messages In This Thread
Re: A thought about miraculous and mystical events - by J Michael - 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM