Shaking the sand, Perils of Evangelizing in our Age
      I have noted that the Catholic seems to be watched critically when in debates or question periods with non Catholics.
The non Catholic seems to be held to higher esteem by the judges in the debate, and he carries much weight in protests on the method or quality of delivery the Catholic individual makes. Complaints by him call for the most severe handling, and one finds there are few gradients of punitive measures applied to him. The remedy applied is usually complete removal of himself. Now outcast, he is lost for failing, and the 'three strikes' of past decades no longer exists. It seems there can be no excuse for inexperience, as these debaters must be fully qualified, articulate, and well learned, the citation cop ready to force Obstat verification on every reference. The moderators see him has 'our man' on the front lines. He must come into the debate has a fully fledged expert to advance the ecumenical cause.

I have been trying to make a connect between the demands to 'get out there' the ecumenism put upon us, and Christ's instructions to 'shake our sandals'. I am waiting for examples to show us just exactly what are the interactions of today that qualify for shaking sandals in the ecumenical framework. Even modern day hypotheticals would help. Moving on, and instructed to emulate Christ, we first call to memory from scripture Christ's every reaction, and we are careful to ensure the current case is the same context as back then. Doubly cautious, we read the footnotes for official added opinions. We can see that Christ is a human Christ, and can become irritated as well on occasion. We get no points from the judges by reserving our use of terms that clearly fit in the context. The much milder response is always seen has not trying enough, or not cautious enough, and the conclusion is the inevitable label 'uncharitable'. Placing in perspective the human character of Christ as they define it through the picture they wish us to emulate, we see a much milder and reserved Christ than scripture portrays.  I'll leave it to others to determine if this is a positive thing for our Faith today. 

The Catholic tells himself that if I use this scriptural response, it would truly fit. Perhaps the term 'whited sepulchres' can be watered down, and so we draw it out to make it clearer but polite/politically correct. The debater now just getting it, he is taken aback that he has just been corrected, and it is now an affront all the same, and is brought up as a case against him. The judges, always ready to coddle these who clearly in this modern day of global information are not categorically invincibly ignorant, has the Church has witness to the prosecution in the Catholic's trial. The truth is that even our Fathers, even now imbued with the grace of their respective charisms, started has non experts, and they were allowed to move on and develop.

The 'do not judge' command has everyone cowed in the corner lest the 'uncharitable' police come around. But I have yet to place it in the context of cases that call for admonishment. Here we find ourselves walking a fine line. Another thing also is rarely do we receive a scolding for being judgemental with someone actually showing us an example of how it could have been better handled. It should be a rule that all accusations of such be followed up with an example he had in mind as to how it should have been done.     

Today's evangelical world has the Catholic fending off critiques from fellow Catholics, and apologizing for things that don't need them, and not getting the delivery in the just the right tone that the observer would have liked.

The conclusion, if ecumenism is to work, can only mean just having everyone have their way. At least you make a friend.  :hmmm:

So I'm interested in your thoughts on this.   

Messages In This Thread
Shaking the sand, Perils of Evangelizing in our Age - by Spence - 03-27-2017, 12:24 PM