Pope Seeks to Change the "Lord's Prayer"
This whole thing has been baffling to me, honestly. I can't speak for the Italian translation. However, I am a native English speaker, and I'm fairly certain that I have a better proficiency with the language than pope Francis does. It never occurred to me that the English language translation of the Lord's Prayer could possibly mean that God tempts us to sin. Even as a child learning the prayer, I never misunderstood the meaning. Furthermore, no one I've ever met who is also a native English speaker has ever misunderstood the meaning. People who are not native speakers have told me that English is actually pretty hard to learn. The "rules" of the language are inconsistent, and there is a lot of context and connotation that can be easy to miss. 

I don't know what brought about the change in the French translation. The English speaking world has never complained about the English translation, as far as I know. Seeing that the current prayer already conveys the correct meaning to the vast majority of people, I hope he just leaves it alone. It's really strange that he's picked this hill to fight on.

Even if it seems to be a little ambiguous, I don't have a problem with it. While God does not tempt us Himself, He certainly does allow us to be tempted at times. We should be asking ourselves what will happen to peoples' faith if his new translation minimizes that fact, or even negates it. When people experience temptation in their lives and grasp at our Lord's Prayer in defense, will they curse God because the new translation indicates that He shouldn't allow us to be tempted? Will they conclude that they're not actually being tempted, and what they're about to do is okay, because God doesn't allow us to be tempted?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope Seeks to Change the "Lord's Prayer" - by Catherine - 12-07-2017, 06:25 PM