Pope Seeks to Change the "Lord's Prayer"
(12-07-2017, 04:52 PM)prostrateinawe Wrote: Well said to each of the posters.  But isn't the Pope simply upholding the law of 'Lex orandi, lex credendi'?  The law of prayer is the law of belief.  As our societies change and languages evolve, words take on different meanings for different people.  I think the Pope is reacting to many who say, "why would God lead us into temptation?"  I am not a student of Aramaic but I would love to know what Our Lord's words originally were.  Maybe the Latin was really trying to say "lead us away from temptation" (just a wild guess) but I admit I don't understand the English version "lead us not into temptation" and there has been a disconnect there for me personally for a long time.

That's ironic that you mention that. "Lex orandi, lex credendi" is often the reason that most trad Catholics say things should NOT change. As we pray, so we believe is also conversely true. As we believe, so we pray. Prayer teaches and nurtures belief, and prayer is informed by and flows from belief. God does not Himself change. The content and truth of the Faith does not change. The Holy Spirit may reveal truths over time, but these things were true all along. If the Faith does not change as societies and languages evolve, why should our worship drastically change?

As I understand, throughout Church history, small changes were made because they better reflected the truth, not necessarily because of changes in the way people understood things. Vatican II was really the first thing that introduced the concept of worship being tailored to the way worshippers understood things.

Interesting point about what the Aramaic actually says though. Considering that they recently changed the English translation of the mass because the former one wasn't quite accurate, I wish I knew the Aramaic too. However, my opinion is that the bad English translation of the mass was poor implementation, not a misunderstanding of the original Latin. The current NO English mass translation is closer match to the English text in my 1962 missal than the previous one. Considering the Lord's Prayer appears the same in the Vulgate, I'd be willing to say that changing the prayer is less about the accuracy of translation and more about changing how people perceive it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope Seeks to Change the "Lord's Prayer" - by Catherine - 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM