Duration of fasting before receiving Holy Communion...?
(02-11-2018, 10:09 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I usually keep the 3 hour fast as my minimum. If I go to Mass before 11 am, I'll keep it from midnight, but to keep it from midnight when going to a noon or later Mass is quite difficult. It's a more harsh penance than what most of us endure during the week and even on days when we may be fasting... and we're doing it on a Sunday when we shouldn't really be doing penance.

If you really can't hold out then do the one hour, anything additional is out of devotion. I'd say do as much as you're able and keep in mind what time you actually are going to Mass. If you eat your last piece of food at 8pm and then go to a 1pm Mass and then eat, you may be going 17 hours without food.

It is also worth noting that the fast is before Communion, not Mass.

That's part of the sad fact of the 1-hour fast, because if it's a Sunday Sung Mass with a 20 minute sermon, you could keep it just by showing up on time chewing on the last bites of your donuts.

If you are going to keep the 3-hour fast then it's always been (for the laity) from Communion, so if it's a typical Sunday Sung Mass with a 20-minute sermon (thus lasting about 1:15-1:30) you'd be quite safe eating 2 hours before Mass starts. But as you say, this is out of devotion, not out of any obligation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duration of fasting before receiving Holy Communion...? - by MagisterMusicae - 02-12-2018, 12:29 AM