Tears and Saints
It should be noted that most of those who are proclaimed saints by the Church are people who were fairly widely known for their piety while they were living (and then more so after death). Such things are certainly more easily noticed of clerics and religious than the average lay person. The average lay person would rarely have such notice unless they did something extraordinary for the Church. That's why we see so few lay saints or at least well known ones. It's also worth noting that of the huge list of saints, there are so few that we know extensively about or how they went about their lives. Usually we hear of large cults following those with great theological writings (e.g. the Doctors of the Church), a founder of a religious order (e.g., St. Francis, St. Dominic, St. Benedict), one of the Apostles, a great pope, maybe royalty, or a few more well known modern saints (e.g., St. Pio, St. Therese). We could also consider the great amount of saints that haven't been proclaimed as such by the Church. How did they live their lives? What about the average Joe who died and went to heaven? We don't know much about him.

However, I do agree, that we have certainly been shown examples that seem so over the top to the average person. Now one could certainly say that if one gives themselves up to religious life they should be held to a higher standard and that such people should not only be looking to get to please God, but obtain a state of perfection that the lay person just cannot dedicate themselves due to care of their family. It's certainly not easy to say. I would say that the religious is primed to greater glory in heaven if they carry out their vocation well (and a great fall if they do not).

I think in the end, God calls all of us to perfection, but he also expects us to do so within the bounds of the grace we are given and within our vocations. Some people are given extraordinary amounts of graces in order that they may be an example for us. That doesn't necessarily mean we have to do the things that they did, but we should see what they did and to the extent that we can, do similar things all for the love and glory of God. I think it can be difficult to look at the saints and then say, how can I ever attain such holiness? We probably won't. Does that mean we can't be saved? I don't think it means that at all. It just means that we probably won't attain to the glory that God will grant to them. Personally, I'll be happy to be ranked the lowest of the low in heaven if it means I get there.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

Messages In This Thread
Tears and Saints - by Bourbon Apocalypse - 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
RE: Tears and Saints - by GangGreen - 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM
RE: Tears and Saints - by Dominicus - 04-30-2018, 02:09 PM
RE: Tears and Saints - by angeltime - 04-30-2018, 02:58 PM