Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.)
(10-19-2018, 07:10 AM)Blind Horus Wrote: I'm not advocating I'm saying laws against marijuana and alcohol were enacted due to prejudice and the end results in both cases turned out poorly. Interestingly both the Mexicans and the Eastern Europeans were both Catholic peoples.

In the US, Prohibition was enacted because of the damage done to wives and children by drunk husbands, not ignorance of customs or prejudice.
Men would get paid on Friday or Saturday and go straight to the pub and spend most of their paycheck on alcohol and take little to nothing home to pay the rent and feed and clothe the children. The men also had a habit of beating their wives and children while they were drunk.   It was a very big problem in the US.  It was such a problem across the US that it became a Constitutional Amendment, which is a very hard thing to do - it requires that Congress pass the law, the President sign the law, then every state must vote on the law - it usually takes years to get a Constitutional Amendment passed.
How big.  I am a Baby Boomer.  My father was paid on Wednesdays specifically so that he, and the other men, would take their paycheck home on Wednesdays - they had to work on Thursday so no one could go to the bar after work Wednesdays.  My dad wasn't a drunk, very, very rarely had any alcohol, didn't do drugs and I can count on one hand the number of times my dad didn't come straight home from work.  My point is, this "drinking up the pay day" was a big problem in the US.  That is why women were leaders in the movement for Prohibition.
But you are right that Prohibition was a failure.  It was early 20th century social engineering, making a better society by force, which never works, look at today for modern examples for forced social norms.  If you want to make changes to a free society, you have to change hearts and minds.  Liberals don't want to do the work of changing hearts and minds because it takes too much time and effort so they just force crap on the rest of us and make life miserable for everyone. Or, the crap they try to force on us is truly such crap that hearts and minds will never conform so they give up trying and plan to just beat us into submission.  We are human beings, with human needs and human weaknesses.  For some of us, drinking tastes good and feels good.  Getting high feels good.  We, as individuals, have to make sound decisions for the right reasons, really think things thru.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaryTN's post:
  • Jeeter, mpk1987, Some Guy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.) - by MaryTN - 10-19-2018, 11:18 AM