+Sheen on "Firing Line" with William F. Buckley, Jr.
A meeting of two great minds indeed. It gets very interesting at about 24:00.

Prior to that is also of interest, but it is a discussion that only someone, like me, who was alive at the times they speak about, vis-a-vis: The Viet Nam War. At the time this was recorded, I had just got my Selective Service Lottery number and the reward was not cash; it was would you get selected to be drafted into the Army or Marines and mostly, without any recourse to not go to war. When your 'in the sights' and you know it, your life takes a different sort of bent. Getting selected, as I was, really gives a young man (women were not drafted, BTW) pause and reflection on one's path in life. Quite the maturing event!

But as for the video, the discussions from the above point on is more along the lines of ecumenism in the post Vat II world and how this effects the society as opposed to the effects of the secular zeitgeist of the time and interestingly, how this action has projected into current times.

One great quote of Abp. Sheen from the video, regarding "the poor", at about 46:00: "Listen, there is a great deal of difference, Mr. Greenfield[?], between the poor of '50 and the poor of today [1970] and this is something to take cognizance of. Today the poor know they are poor and that is the great difference."  Sooo true!!

Fascinating!

Keyboard Warrior
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

Messages In This Thread
RE: +Sheen on "Firing Line" with William F. Buckley, Jr. - by Zedta - 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM