Really Confused about Vatican II
(10-06-2019, 10:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: There's absolutely nothing in Catholic teaching that tells you to follow your Priest or Bishop (or even the Pope) into error...

Per the Catechism of St. Pius X, under "Preliminary Lesson", p. 9:

Quote:3 Q. Who is a true Christian?
A. A true Christian is he who is baptised, who believes and professes the Christian Doctrine, and obeys the lawful pastors of the Church.

And under "The Ninth Article of the Creed," p. 32:

Quote:10 Q. Who are the lawful pastors of the Church?
A. The lawful pastors of the Church are the Roman Pontiff, that is, the Pope, who is Supreme Pastor, and the Bishops. Other priests, also, and especially Parish Priests, have a share in the pastoral office, subject to the Bishop and the Pope.

And under "The Precepts of the Church," p.124:

Quote:2 Q. Are we obliged to obey the Church?
A. Undoubtedly we are obliged to obey the Church, because Jesus Christ Himself commands us to do so, and because the Precepts of the Church help us to observe the Commandments of God.

And again under "The Ninth Article of the Creed," pp. 34-35:

Quote:32 Q. Are we also obliged to do all that the Church commands?
A. Yes, we are obliged to do all that the Church commands, for Jesus Christ has said to the Pastors of the Church: "He who hears you, hears Me, and he who despises you, despises Me."

And p. 36:

Quote:46 Q. Are we obliged to hear the Teaching Church?
A. Yes, without doubt we are obliged under pain of eternal damnation to hear the Teaching Church; for Jesus Christ has said to the Pastors of His Church, in the persons of the Apostles: "He who hears you, hears Me, and he who despises you, despises Me."

So, while I suppose it could be argued that nothing in Catholic teaching tells one to follow one's Priest or Bishop (or even the Pope) into error, this would be a negative teaching whereas most of the rules, especially in connection with the above-cited passages from the catechism of Pope St. Pius X, are in the positive.  In other words, practically speaking, one has to be quite knowledgeable, theologically speaking, in order to transgress even a priest, let alone a bishop or the Pope.  This has the essential effect of what Markie Boy proposed, namely, that what the Catholic church teaches (and has taught for quite some time) is that one follows his priest/bishop/Pope.  While, naturally, one said priest/bishop/Pope is teaching/professing something that is contrary to the Church's magisterium (e.g., there is no such thing as the real presence!; one can easily get into heaven with unconfessed mortal sin(s) at the time of their death; etc.), this becomes less clear in other matters which, over time, erode away tradition and the faith.  In that regard, I find it almost Protestant-like how easily anyone can say that their priest is in error and disregard such teaching.  That is, quite frankly, how we got into this mess into the first place.    

Further, to adroitly state that you don't have to follow your priest/bishop/Pope into error, while technically true, wholly and entirely casts aside generationally inured traditions and beliefs which were very much the foundation to Catholic tradition. In theory, it should be quite easy to do; in practice, it's for the most part impossible.

Messages In This Thread
Really Confused about Vatican II - by SacraCor714 - 08-18-2019, 07:18 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Zedta - 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by MaryTN - 08-19-2019, 03:57 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Paul - 08-19-2019, 08:55 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Jeeter - 10-07-2019, 06:24 AM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Bonaventure - 10-06-2019, 11:36 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Paul - 10-07-2019, 12:50 AM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Paul - 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by Paul - 10-07-2019, 04:07 PM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by cassini - 10-07-2019, 08:36 AM
RE: Really Confused about Vatican II - by mpk1987 - 10-07-2019, 02:01 PM