What is the Difference: Aquinas, Bonaventure, Scotus et. al.?
From what I've read, the difference between St Bonaventure and St Thomas is the basis of Aristotelian metaphysics. Bonaventure adopted the idea of men being hylomorphic composites, but overall he was much more neoplatonic than Aquinas. In a way, he follows the Augustinian mode of theology while introducing some elements of Aristotle. The most notable of his views is that of vestiges: where Bonaventure believed that God could be known through the vestiges, or footprints, He left on creation. On top of that, Bonaventure emphasized the necessity of religious convictions when proving God's existence through reason and believed that all things only make sense when contextualized through the Word, Jesus Christ. He believed that theology was the science to which all other sciences should be subordinated to.

Bonaventure also appears to have adhered to the view that not all things within theology can be known through pure reason, citing the emphasis on Wisdom as the means through which we seek contemplation, attaining the highest form of knowledge of God.

I encourage you to take a look at this article, as Pope Benedict describes the differences much better than I can.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Fionnchu, olorin12

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Difference: Aquinas, Bonaventure, Scotus et. al.? - by Augustinian - 08-29-2019, 05:54 PM