Anglican given Catholic Last Rites.
(08-30-2019, 12:47 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 12:09 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This person was starting to show serious dementia, and was really not at all religious in the final years.
As for why the Last Rites were given by a priest, and then an additional prayer by a Bishop.
Well, because I personally asked for it.
I asked the pastoral people at the hospital for a Catholic to administer Last Rites.
I then literally just happened to meet the Bishop in the entrance to the hospital. I asked him to come up for a prayer/blessing, which he graciously did.
Then, finally, as my loved one was in the final moments of live (viz. doing the really laboured breathing thing), we had a third priest come in, really just to pray and be there.
As the priest entered the doorway, my loved one seemed to open his eyes towards the door, in a strange moment of lucidity.
After some prayers, the priest then began singing a hymn (which I think is actually a Protestant Hymn).
With the last words, something like “calling, O sinner, come home...” probably five seconds passed and my loved ones breathing slowed dramatically, and in a few moments stopped completely. Then they died.
The room was in complete awe.

Amazing.  Thank you for sharing this.  I can say that your family member had a better chance of dying in a state of grace than your average Protestant, simply because you asked for a Catholic priest.  That moment of lucidity could very well have been a gift from God so that your family member could respond to the grace that He was offering to him.  While some might be dismissive, what you describe above is too much for me to chalk up to coincidence.

You’re welcome.

It really was incredible to observe.
There were a lot of family in the room — none of whom were particularly religious.
However, many couldn’t stop talking about what they’d just observed after it happened.

I feel like, in some sense, I made some reparation for the damage I’d done to my loved one’s Faith.  For about 7 years approx., I had fallen away from the Church, and was an obnoxious, staunch Calvinist. It wasn’t until just before our wedding in 2014 that God — through His abundant grace — started peeling back the prideful layers of my “fundamentalist” facade, and started bringing me home to the Church. In the years previous, I’d filled my loved ones’ mind with all sorts of falsehood while he was still of sound mind. Thankfully, I don’t think he took what I said too seriously.

Hopefully, by God operating through his anointed priests, my loved one saved his soul.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anglican given Catholic Last Rites. - by FultonFan - 08-30-2019, 09:39 PM