Hypothetically, would ordination of women mean the gates of hell had prevailed?
(10-13-2019, 10:18 AM)Lonion Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 09:23 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: You watch, even if the Pope decides to ordain women there will always be some jesuitical hair splitting answer to justify it or to pretend that it's not what it looks like so that people will protect their psyche from further damage.  Hate to be that harsh but that's how I see it. This has been the name of the game for centuries, whether it was with usury,  the liturgy or whatever.  Same old, same old. 

Yeah, this exact same sort of thing played out with the death penalty change.

I have no doubt that if women's "ordination" did start happening, people would wave away JPII's infallible statements on the topic as "just being meant for that period in history," along with any and all other evidence against it. Basically retconning infallible statements as much as needed to in order to avoid contradicting the Church's current "teachings." Even if doing so would render "infallibility" as practically meaningless since it would be impossible to pin down any interpretation of said statements.

Bingo.  Exactly this.  Part of this stuff is why I did finally become Orthodox. 

Not trying to get anyone here to do the same but I'm always curious as to why people stay where they do and how they rationalize and try to make sense of all this chaos. 

While this sort of thing was not my sole reason for leaving Rome by a longshot it certainly put me on a journey to seek out the answers to almost everything that troubled me and at the end of it I left the RCC and have not regretted it for a single moment, not even for a second.  

I feel for trads because RC ecclesiology leaves no real room for disobeying and not going along with or at least being under whoever happens to be pope and bishop of whatever diocese. 

Personally I never was convinced of the SSPX position. If anything the sedes have a more logically coherent system but the papacy is the sine qua non of Catholicism and they don't have a pope so the whole thing falls apart.  To their credit they do not compromise. FSSP had to sell their souls for the mess of pottage that is the arguably different religion of Vatican II and live a precarious existence as a neutralized ghetto WITHIN the VAT II system.  

There's simply no legitimate recourse lay Catholics have other than to basically go in schism from their church. It's a very difficult and precarious situation for sure, and one I sympathize with because I've been there.

I guess I still STRONGLY believe the papacy as it came to be by the time of Vatican I is THE Achilles heel of Catholicism. I cannot be convinced otherwise at this point.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • whitewashed_tomb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hypothetically, would ordination of women mean the gates of hell had prevailed? - by formerbuddhist - 10-13-2019, 11:00 AM