Concerns about Catholicism
This is going to be a long blog-post, forgive me for that.

In the past few months I've had some issues surrounding Catholicism. Now, this isn't really a question of whether the Catholic Church is the true Church, because based upon the witness of the saints, as well as the spiritual and missionary aspects of the Church one can plainly see the truth therein. No, it comes down, again, to the splintering within the Church since Vatican I, really, and the rise of papalotry.
I remember discovering the truth of Roman Catholicism, converting, and not really seeing too much of an issue with how the Church was in my own diocese (the parish I attended was a more "reverent" NO). It wasn't until I was introduced to traditionalism that the anxiety quickly mounted as to whether what I had been attending was true Roman Catholicism.

Now, as I've read more and more theology, the Fathers and mystics, I fluctuated from a hybrid indifference to NO and TLM, then became very interested in Eastern Catholicism and at one point came close to despair when I read more about Eastern Orthodoxy and questioned if I made a mistake in entering Catholicism. After being talked down from that ledge by a good NO priest, I decided to omit the NO almost entirely and attended a diocesan TLM (Fr. Z's parish actually). That was great, a TLM done correctly with great reverence. But months later, as I read more, I began to have serious questions about the post-conciliar Church and the NO. Once I came to Fisheaters I delved into Lefebvre and the SSPX to find that it may be spiritually dangerous to attend the majority of NO Masses due to abuses and questionable liturgical liberties taken.

So now I've found myself cornered into a situation where I am aware of the abuses and liturgical issues with the NO, and therefore in good conscience cannot attend them with this knowledge. Soon I noticed some issues with the orthodoxy of the diocesan parish I attended surrounding Vatican II and the "participation" of the laity in the Mass, so often being scolded by Fr. Z for not being 'audible' in our assistance at Mass, when most there were clearly in prayer or praying along in their Missals.
So I defected from the diocese entirely and now almost exclusively attend a wonderful SSPX parish, with an overall avoidance of the NO.

Now, to the crux of the issue I am now facing has to do with this splintering of various traditionalist factions. Clearly, I think the SSPX is right in their stance with Rome. But the biggest issue I have now is the spurious position they have in the Church. There is no clear determination as to whether they are actually in the Church, informally outside of the Church, in a state if disobedience (which is worrisome from a moral perspective), etc. In a way, it's almost as if the SSPX occupies a role like that of the Orthodox churches, who are in communion with one another but also their own church-inside-the-church under the heading of a bishop (in this case the SSPX Bishops and superiors).

I guess my issue is that of simple exhaustion. I found the Church looking for the truth, and inside of Her walls I have to seek even further for the truth in an institution which proclaims to be truth itself. And now I seem to have found the truth in the confines of a society which may or may not be in the Church, with the Society proclaiming it is and others in the Church saying they aren't. It all seems spurious to me for a Church which is meant to be the visible presence of Christ on earth.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 4 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • Fionnchu, LionHippo, MaryTN, whitewashed_tomb

Messages In This Thread
Concerns about Catholicism - by Augustinian - 10-16-2019, 10:08 AM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by 1Faith - 10-16-2019, 10:51 AM
Concerns about Catholicism - by Augustinian - 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by jack89 - 10-16-2019, 12:47 PM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by Bonaventure - 10-16-2019, 02:15 PM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by Augustinian - 10-16-2019, 05:38 PM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by Fionnchu - 10-17-2019, 12:00 AM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by MaryTN - 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM
RE: Concerns about Catholicism - by Augustinian - 10-16-2019, 09:49 PM