"Mature vocations" for men in an Order?
(12-27-2019, 05:05 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 02:16 PM)Ioannes_L Wrote: During this Ignatian retreat father told the story about a man who had lost his wife after some children and many years of marriage. With the children, then adults and some even ordained, he decided to prepare himself for his death, so he joined the SSPX Argentinian seminary as a brother.
Great to hear! As to earlier respondents, the Franciscans do not accept "mature" vocations to their First Order congregations after 45; I looked up the websites of more traditional communities and found what I expected: upper age range of no more than 30 for ICK, 35 for Canons Regular of St John Cantius, FSSP and Clear Creek Benedictines in Oklahoma. I could not "discern," as an aside, from the U.S. SSPX their age range, but I'd have assumed it's similar, so this possible exception is encouraging. The only group I have ever heard of that does not discourage are among nascent Franciscan Friars in Fort Wayne, but I am unsure if they are still stable given the papal crackdown on their "cousin" Friars of the Immaculate. Does not look as if Orders are keen, and I know many dioceses, despite shortages, do not encourage "mature" male applicants. I record these data for anyone who may surf in from the web and stumble on this, as websites I consulted on this question appear to have "died out" or have a lot of discarded URLs, not a good sign.

(As for women, it looks as if a few Carmelite or Benedictine convents are open to the possibility but I find it discouraging that male communities do not appear to want to extend that venerable practice of accepting men "of a certain age." Insurance risks, maybe?)

The SSPX age is 35 to enter the seminary, but exceptions have been made, and not infrequently. I know of at least a half-dozen exceptions including the case I mentioned earlier. 

As far as the Brothers, I don't think there is an upper range, but if there is, exceptions are granted. I also know of several men who were in the 40s and 50s who entered the SSPX Brothers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Fionnchu

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Mature vocations" for men in an Order? - by MagisterMusicae - 12-27-2019, 05:15 PM