Do we have to listen to the Pope?
(01-13-2020, 02:37 AM)Missbeliever Wrote: I just thought that if there was a Church document stating that it was okay to ignore the pope or that a pope can be a heretic, the people here would know and I wouldn't need to spend the time searching Church documents for that info.

We don't need a 'Church document'. There have been Popes who were heretics. Honorius I was declared anathema by the Third Œcumenical Council of Constantinople, which in its 13th session, said, "And with these we define that there shall be expelled from the holy Church of God and anathematized Honorius who was some time Pope of Old Rome, because of what we found written by him to [Patriarch] Sergius, that in all respects he followed his view and confirmed his impious doctrines."

The Sixteenth Session adds: "To Theodore of Pharan, the heretic, anathema! To Sergius, the heretic, anathema! To Cyrus, the heretic, anathema! To Honorius, the heretic, anathema! To Pyrrhus, the heretic, anathema!"

Granted, this was 'eased' by Pope Leo II, but without lifting the anathema. He said, "We anathematize ... Honorius, who did not attempt to sanctify this Apostolic Church with the teaching of Apostolic tradition, but by profane treachery permitted its purity to be polluted."

John XXII was a notorious, open heretic who only repented of his heresy on his death bed.

Both these men are still considered to have been legitimate Popes by the Church. They are included in the official list of the Popes issued by the Vatican.

Praying for you!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian, austenbosten, Sacred Heart lover

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM