Do we have to listen to the Pope?
(01-13-2020, 02:37 AM)Missbeliever Wrote: I just thought that if there was a Church document stating that it was okay to ignore the pope or that a pope can be a heretic, the people here would know and I wouldn't need to spend the time searching Church documents for that info.

You seem to have made up your mind that the Pope is teaching contrary to doctrine and want official permission to disagree with him on it.  I get it, I'm there myself.  Your not going to get a clear answer.  The Pope can do pretty much whatever he wants because most of our bishops are weak and there are virtually no checks and balances.

Ultimately you have to follow your conscience and hope that it is well formed by good Catholic catechesis and reason.  If someone tells you to do something that goes against your conscience, even the Pope, go with your conscience.  Unfortunately, poor catechesis is all too common and can lead to an ill formed conscience.  In the end though, you have to work with what you have and continuously seek the truth.  

Saint John Henry Newman has a pretty good quote touching on this, "I shall drink to the Pope, if you please, still, to conscience first, and to the Pope afterwards."

Pope Francis reaffirmed primacy of conscience when it came to Amoris Laetitia a few years back, which can be both a validation of the teaching and a warning that it can lead you down the wrong path. 

When I question the Pope, or any cleric for that matter, I look to the Bible, the current and older Catechisms, the saints, tradition, and so on to check myself.  If I think he's wrong, I won't follow him on it.  Hopefully my conscience is in sync with true Catholic teaching, or at least close to it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • austenbosten

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 03:25 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-09-2020, 12:39 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM