Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity
(02-05-2020, 06:35 PM)Paul Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 05:27 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: That is why I say there is a striking difference between offering to the Father "the Body, Blood, soul and Divinity" of Christ. This is, by definition to say, "I offer the Eucharist". The other prayers say I offer the Blood, or the Body, or the Wounds, or the Sufferings of Christ, all directly connected to the Passion, and so directly connected to the Sacrifice of Christ, and the essence of the Mass. The Eucharist is the effect and fruit of the Mass, and so theologically and philosophically this confuses cause and effect.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that everbecoming was onto something here, and there is a deeper problem that is not itself heretical, but certainly is tied to the confusion and ambiguity one sees in this New Theology and the Second Vatican Council.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I agree that the Divine Mercy prayer is meaning "the Eucharist" by "Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity". But I don't see how this means a meal. If we're going to say a prayer about offering our Lord, as St Gertrude does with the Precious Blood, why would we not offer the Eucharist? It's obviously not in the same sense that the priest does, but that's an issue with either prayer.

I suppose I could see how someone who sees the Mass as primarily a meal would miss the connection to the Passion with the Divine Mercy Prayer, and if the objection is that the prayer doesn't explicitly mention the Passion, I could see that. But that's really a issue with the new Mass.

I agree it's an issue with the New Mass, but it seems that the theology behind this prayer matches that new idea.

I would note that an effect of that idea which seeks to remove the notion of the Mass being essentially the Sacrifice of the Cross and instead link the Mass with "The Lord's Supper" (with which it is not essentially identified), while preserving the real presence will suggest that the Sacrifice of the Mass is really Christ offering to us his Body and Blood, and not the immolation of Himself. So for them the Eucharist is the Sacrifrice, not the Mass. But that's false because by definition a Sacrifice is a thing which is offered to God alone in honor of his glory and sovereignty in which the thing is entirely set aside and changed, even destroyed. That is not the Eucharist itself which is the conjoined Sacramental presence and fruit of the Sacrifice, but the Body and Blood of Christ itself.

The Divine Mercy prayer, therefore, sounds very much like offering the Eucharist as if it were a Sacrifice, instead of the real Sacrifice of the Mass itself, which is the immolation of Christ offered to His Father, and not the Sacramental presence offered to us.

It is a subtle change and wrapped up in theology and philosophy, but to me the Divine Mercy prayer sounds more like this notion than the traditional notion, and the fact that I've seen no prayers, nor are familiar with any which offer the Eucharist to God the Father, or which offer the Divinity of the Son to the Father explicitly, suggests to me that the prayer embodies this new idea.

Truth be told there are other theological consequences, including the notion of "partial communion" and the idea of Benedict XVI, John Paul II, and the condemned Modernist heretic Henri de Lubac whose condemnation by Pius XII was removed by John XXIII that "The Eucharist makes the Church"—that it is the Eucharist, not the Baptismal Character which is the bond which joins Christians and makes a group of Christians a True Church. And thus, a valid Eucharist, which is what Christ sacrificed to us, is what makes a Church a True Church, and therefore the Orthodox and any Christians with valid Orders are True Churches, those without have only partial communion, and even non-Christians like Jews who accept some truths are also in partial Communion, and therefore do not need to convert.

The theology is consistent, is what I've saying, even if that's not the immediate thing one gets out of the prayer.

And maybe I'm making false connections here, but it makes sense in my head in thinking about these matters.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, MiserereMeiDeus

Messages In This Thread
RE: Divine Mercy Chaplet and Offering the Divinity - by MagisterMusicae - 02-06-2020, 06:27 PM