Philosophy (Existentialism)
Hey guys, been a lurker on these incredible forums for a while now. Just joined today. Excited to be here.

I’ve been curious about the traditional Catholic take on some parts of existential thought, and I see nothing posted here about it. I know a lot of it is rotten, but we got Hildebrand out of existential thought, a man of strong traditional convictions who fought to preserve the TLM during Vatican II and was a brilliant writer and Catholic philosopher. His insights on Aesthetics and Purity are so fresh. My favorite filmmaker, Andrei Tarkovsky, a Russian Orthodox, is also considered an existentialist, and brings great insight into the experience of solitude, suffering, and time, (his films are very Eastern and monastic). He experiments with the medium of film as a utensil to manifest time, and thus portray prayer, suffering, experience, etc. Something unable to be done in such a way before film. His writings inspire me greatly, as I’m a sucker for film and aesthetics. 

Is there anything redemptive about any of existentialism? I worry that the existentialists are seductive because they’re good writers, unlike a lot of philosophy writers before them. But this branch of philosophy seems so broad, so it’s difficult to write it off as fundamentally wrong.

Colossians 2:
“Now this I say, that no man may deceive you by loftiness of words. ...
Beware lest any man cheat you by philosophy, and vain deceit; according to the tradition of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ”
[-] The following 1 user Likes dante_angelico's post:
  • ServusDei

Messages In This Thread
Philosophy (Existentialism) - by dante_angelico - 02-16-2020, 11:37 PM
RE: Philosophy (Existentialism) - by Augustinian - 02-17-2020, 07:54 PM
RE: Philosophy (Existentialism) - by piscis - 02-18-2020, 08:06 PM