Questions about the Actual Apocrypha
(07-27-2020, 08:54 AM)Melkite Wrote: MagisterMusicae, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the canon approved by Trent just the list of books that can be used liturgically, and the Church didn't define them as such until their authenticity was contested by the Protestants?

The Orthodox canon of the Old Testament includes 3 Maccabees, 1 Esdras, Psalm 151 and the Prayer of Manasseh.  This is, by default, the canon of the Eastern Catholic churches as well.

I'll second this question.

And correct me if I am wrong, Melkite, but isn't it true that there are some Orthodox who have actually held smaller canons, closer to the Rabbinical and Protestant enumeration, as well as larger canons? 

From everything that I have seen and heard so far about the matter, the Easterners and Orientals seem to have a very different idea of what is the canon and what constitutes scripture than we in the Latin tradition have.

For instance, I have heard that the Russian Orthodox would refer to what Catholics call deuterocanonical books as "non-canonical Old Testament Scriptures."
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions about the Actual Apocrypha - by Justin Tertius - 07-27-2020, 01:01 PM