Welcome to the Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum!!! We hope you enjoy your stay in our community, and look forward to sharing our faith with you.

Lol - I (most likely) have a rather rare cutaneous disease!
(06-19-2012, 07:28 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 09:17 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I can go find articles against the use, medical citations,

I bet you can't find 2.I can find many citing the medical efficacy of CS for all manner of issues.

Here is one, which is a government agency with a medical purpose (note, you appealed to modern medicine...you cannot reject this source without repealing all the "medical" claims you used earlier): http://nccam.nih.gov/health/silver

Quote:Colloidal silver consists of tiny silver particles suspended in liquid. Scientific evidence does not support the use of colloidal silver to treat any disease, and serious, irreversible side effects can result from its use.

Colloidal silver products are often marketed as dietary supplements with various unproven health-related claims. This fact sheet provides a general overview of colloidal silver and suggests sources for additional information.

Key Points
* Colloidal silver is not safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
* Colloidal silver can cause serious side effects. The most common is argyria, a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, which is usually not treatable or reversible.
* The FDA and the Federal Trade Commission have taken action against a number of companies (including some companies that sell products over the Internet) for making drug-like claims about colloidal silver products.
* Tell all your health care providers about any complementary health practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.

At the bottom are a load of references.

Here is a good one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8632503

Quote:Legitimate medicinal use of silver-containing products has dramatically diminished over the last several decades. Recently, however, some manufacturers have begun to enthusiastically promote oral colloidal silver proteins as mineral supplements and for prevention and treatment of many diseases. Indiscriminate use of silver products can lead to toxicity such as argyria.

Like I said, I knew what I was saying...

Quote:Arun, the main reason I suggested you dab on some CS  (I mean really,it can't hurt at worst)
At worst, it can.

Quote: was due to a recent spate of Brown recluse spider bites in our area.The venom creates a nasty nasty wound.Someone fixed theirs right up with topical and ingested CS. Quite remarkable.
A new scientific method! So much for data, double blind studies, and science in general.

Quote:And believe me...my preps are extensive and cover all the bases.Thanks for the concern.
The good news is, you can stop wasting silver and use it as an investment or towards a fruitful end. The bad news is you have to revise your position.
(06-19-2012, 08:28 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 09:17 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I can go find articles against the use, medical citations,

I bet you can't find 2.I can find many citing the medical efficacy of CS for all manner of issues.

Here is one, which is a government agency with a medical purpose (note, you appealed to modern medicine...you cannot reject this source without repealing all the "medical" claims you used earlier): http://nccam.nih.gov/health/silver

Quote:Colloidal silver consists of tiny silver particles suspended in liquid. Scientific evidence does not support the use of colloidal silver to treat any disease, and serious, irreversible side effects can result from its use.

Colloidal silver products are often marketed as dietary supplements with various unproven health-related claims. This fact sheet provides a general overview of colloidal silver and suggests sources for additional information.

Key Points
* Colloidal silver is not safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
* Colloidal silver can cause serious side effects. The most common is argyria, a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, which is usually not treatable or reversible.
* The FDA and the Federal Trade Commission have taken action against a number of companies (including some companies that sell products over the Internet) for making drug-like claims about colloidal silver products.
* Tell all your health care providers about any complementary health practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.

Oh dear,we know we are scraping the barrel of credulity when we have to go to the Gubberment for our info.Anyway here we go:

The first reference cited in your first link has very little to say about negative effects of silver and I quote::

Quote: "Exposure to high levels of silver for a long period of time may result in a condition called arygria, a blue-gray discoloration of the skin and other body tissues. Lower-level exposures to silver may also cause silver to be deposited in the skin and other parts of the body; however, this is not known to be harmful. Argyria is a permanent effect, but it appears to be a cosmetic problem that may not be otherwise harmful to health.

Exposure to high levels of silver in the air has resulted in breathing problems, lung and throat irritation, and stomach pains. Skin contact with silver can cause mild allergic reactions such as rash, swelling, and inflammation in some people.

Animal studies have shown that swallowing silver results in the deposit of silver in the skin. One study in mice found that the animals exposed to silver in drinking water were less active than unexposed animals.   [so what?]

No studies are available on whether silver affects reproduction or causes developmental problems in people."

Firstly there are no medical citations or evidence linked to in this "reference" to support any of the above claims.

Lets start with Argyria.This is the big one every looses their rattle over.There are zero recorded cases of pure,non saline CS ingestion causing this condition. The famous Blue man we see all over the web was rubbing silver salts (totally different chemical substance) into his skin and amplifying the effect by using tanning beds.He also drank gallons of his Colloidal silver salt compound every week for years.You don't use salts in the production of CS.The problem is that presence of salt produces a large silver salt particles such as silver chloride in addition to making fine particle CS. Apparently, silver salts, not the fine-particle colloidal silver is what can cause argyria. Otherwise, there would be far more cases of this type of argyria being reported.

Wikipedia states:
"Argyria (ISV from Greek: ἄργυρος argyros silver + -ia) is a condition caused by improper exposure to chemical forms of the element silver, silver dust, or silver compounds"

Silver,pure silver in liquid suspension does not have any of the chemical attributes needed to cause Agyria.End - off. I have been ingesting  CS for years and guess what? Not even a hint of blue tint anywhere.Anyone developing Argyria has always done so by being exposed to various chemical silver compounds such as those used in Photography or other industrial processes.

Incidentally,The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) describes argyria as a "cosmetic problem",which is not harmful, but it is mildly disfiguring and thus some people find it to be socially debilitating."

The medical literature records just one death attributed to the regular use of C.S. and even then it wasn't a definitive conclusion from all I can gather and underlying conditions are not discounted..Compare this deadly statistic to annual deaths from all manner of over the counter drugs including aspirin!

The reference dose for CS, published by the United States Environmental Protection Agency in 1991, which recommends the estimated daily exposure which is unlikely to incur an appreciable risk of deleterious effects during a lifetime, is 5 µg/kg/d; meaning 5 microgram of silver per kilogram of weight per person each day – about 1 litre of 10 ppm colloidal silver per month for a 66 kg person

The fourth reference on your first link leads to the following statement regarding C.S. and toxicity:
  "Indiscriminate use of silver products can lead to toxicity such as argyria."

I totally agree with this statement even though statistically this is of low likelihood. Not being discriminating about the type of silver you use is silly (although not actually dangerous) .This is why I make my own.I have complete control over the grade and purity of the water and silver I use.And there is no need to drink gallons of the stuff weekly.
You appealed to wikipedia...wikipedia uses the links I gave as a citation.

And you are attacking the source and misspelling it. Stick to logic.

I have no real interest in this, but you really need to brush up on logic and science to match your zeal.

Now, you will note that my original statement about going and finding links did not include such links because I knew it would be futile. I did not know how you would ignore it, but I knew you would.
(06-19-2012, 08:28 AM)Rosarium Wrote: At the bottom are a load of references.

Here is a good one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8632503

Quote:Legitimate medicinal use of silver-containing products has dramatically diminished over the last several decades. Recently, however, some manufacturers have begun to enthusiastically promote oral colloidal silver proteins as mineral supplements and for prevention and treatment of many diseases. Indiscriminate use of silver products can lead to toxicity such as argyria.

Like I said, I knew what I was saying...

Quote:Arun, the main reason I suggested you dab on some CS  (I mean really,it can't hurt at worst)
At worst, it can.

Quote: was due to a recent spate of Brown recluse spider bites in our area.The venom creates a nasty nasty wound.Someone fixed theirs right up with topical and ingested CS. Quite remarkable.
A new scientific method! So much for data, double blind studies, and science in general.

Quote:And believe me...my preps are extensive and cover all the bases.Thanks for the concern.
The good news is, you can stop wasting silver and use it as an investment or towards a fruitful end. The bad news is you have to revise your position.

So...as demonstrated above your link and "references" were pretty pallid.Nothing definitive as expected and loaded with ambiguity,lack of content and precise information.Certainly nothing that supports your fear mongering and belligerent negativity.Now,I could go own and post you lots and lots of studies and citations (real ones) showing the efficacy of silver in medicine going back 100 hundred years or more.I won't bother though because your not going to read anything.
Anyone reading this discourse Im sure will be capable of their own research and making their own conclusions based on the balance and weight of evidence on either side of this issue.
Worth pointing out that your own defense also provided very little  data, no blind studies or actual scientific papers. Oh the Irony   Grin

still  think you know better than me?
(06-19-2012, 09:29 AM)Rosarium Wrote: I have no real interest in this,

Ah yes..the final cop-out. I was just waiting for this. Thank you.
(06-19-2012, 09:34 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: So...as demonstrated above your link and "references" were pretty pallid.Nothing definitive as expected and loaded with ambiguity,lack of content and precise information.Certainly nothing that supports your fear mongering and belligerent negativity.Now,I could go own and post you lots and lots of studies and citations (real ones) showing the efficacy of silver in medicine going back 100 hundred years or more.I won't bother though because your not going to read anything.
Anyone reading this discourse I sure will be capable of their own research and making their own conclusions based on the balance and weight of evidence on either side of this issue.
Worth pointing out that your own defense also provided very little  data, no blind studies or actual scientific papers. Oh the Irony   Grin

still  think you know better than me?

Ah yes, the "a guy got bitten by a spider, and took some colloidal silver, and then he got better!" is a much better basis.

I do not think knowledge is the issue here. I think the ability to think critically is.

And yes, I think I think correctly in this regard.

I hope you are not harmed with your obsession either physically or financially. It is a small matter anyway. The flesh is mortal regardless.

(06-19-2012, 09:35 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(06-19-2012, 09:29 AM)Rosarium Wrote: I have no real interest in this,

Ah yes..the final cop-out. I was just waiting for this. Thank you.

I meant that I am not affected by it at all.
Has anyone ever tried putting gold on a spider bite?  I'm not being a smart a--, I'm serious.  I mean, if silver works why not gold?
(06-19-2012, 09:40 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Has anyone ever tried putting gold on a spider bite?  I'm not being a smart a--, I'm serious.  I mean, if silver works why not gold?
Don't! One anecdote using gold to fix a spider bite and he'll be wasting more time and money using colloidal gold.

(06-19-2012, 09:37 AM)Rosarium Wrote: I do not think knowledge is the issue here. I think the ability to think critically is.

And yes, I think I think correctly in this regard.

I agree with the first line but it is painfully obvious,that with regard your final conclusion here you are quite quite mistaken. One needs to be fully cognizant of all the facts and info regarding any given subject to be able to engage in critical thought on any serious level. This little tete e tete has really been more of an exercise in drawing out your ignorance and belligerent nature on this particular issue.