Welcome to the Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum!!! We hope you enjoy your stay in our community, and look forward to sharing our faith with you.

Easing a cold
(11-14-2012, 11:15 PM)Aragon Wrote: I just went to my grandmother's house for the night and feel way better. Nothing like a grandma's cooking and a decent night's sleep to fix you up.

True that.
(11-13-2012, 11:36 PM)Aragon Wrote: Any good tips for dealing with a cold? I'm currently sick and trying to get myself better before the weekend I've found that:

Hot water
Honey
One slice of lemon
A tablespoon or two of whiskey

Helps me feel better and get to sleep.

Your tips?

My friend made this for me when I was under the weather.

works wonders.
(11-15-2012, 01:13 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(11-13-2012, 11:36 PM)Aragon Wrote: Any good tips for dealing with a cold? I'm currently sick and trying to get myself better before the weekend I've found that:

Hot water
Honey
One slice of lemon
A tablespoon or two of whiskey

Helps me feel better and get to sleep.

Your tips?

My friend made this for me when I was under the weather.

works wonders.

The "hot toddy" was exactly what I thought of just from reading the title of the thread, before I even opened it.  A variation on the same theme is a friend of mine makes lemon cordials, which contain honey and a bit of vodka, and is mixed with hot water.  Besides their therapeutic value, these are also a nice comfy hot beverage to sit down with on a cold winter night.  BTW, I typically use more than a tablespoon or two of wiskey  Grin

Drink lots of fluids and stay norished.  I think that is why the brothy soups (like the proverbial chicken soup) are good.

I'm not necessarily certain that doing the mega vit. c thing really helps, but personal experience seems to indicate that vitamin supplements help prevent colds.

If I'm really miserable with sinus congestion (which I usually am with a cold) I take antihistamines.  The daytime "anti drowsey" ones don't do squat for me.  The "older kind" (I'm not sure of the various ingredient names), which some shops keep behind the counter now because of their popularity with the meth makers, have always worked best.  I usually just go to the pharmacist and ask for the "strongest".