NCR on the Latin Mass
And yet...wasn't he the pope who lamented the smoke of satan getting into the Church?  It was him...right?  Split personality?
(12-09-2012, 10:04 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: From the article:

"Pope Paul VI also understood this.  The rejection of the Vatican II liturgy is a rejection of its ecclesiology and theology.  In his newly published book True Reform: Liturgy and Ecclesiology in Sacrosanctum Concilium, Massimo Faggioli narrates Paul's response when his philosopher friend Jean Guitton asked why not concede the 1962 missal to breakaway Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre and his followers.  Paul responded:

"'Never.  This Mass ... becomes the symbol of the condemnation of the council.  I will not accept, under any circumstances, the condemnation of the council through a symbol.  Should this exception to the liturgy of Vatican II have its way, the entire council would be shaken.  And, as a consequence, the apostolic authority of the council would be shaken.'"

Pope Paul himself knew implicitly that Vatican II was not in continuity with Tradition, as the true Roman Rite, with its centuries-old prayers, condemned the Council and what it taught.  And it's also made clear that the true Mass contains within it traditional Catholic theology and ecclesiology, while the Novus Ordo is something different (64% of the orations were replaced, 19% were altered, with only 17% left untouched).  Yet one more nail in the coffin against those who argue against the Hermeneutic of Rupture.

Exactly.

Does this mean that by Arch Bishop Mullers standards Paul VI was a heretic? :P
(12-09-2012, 09:39 PM)Allan Wrote: Wouldn't it be fun to put the author on trial accused of being Catholic?  I can see the cross examination now:
Acquitted...not Catholic.

This is awesome! 
Why worry about what the National Catholic Reporter says. They have an editorial policy that is at odds with the Catholic Church. If you spend your time eorrying about what they have to say it wont do you any good. They wont cheange and you spend your time being miserable.
??? ??? ???
(12-10-2012, 12:18 AM)Poche Wrote: Why worry about what the National Catholic Reporter says. They have an editorial policy that is at odds with the Catholic Church. If you spend your time eorrying about what they have to say it wont do you any good. They wont cheange and you spend your time being miserable.
??? ??? ???

Because they are a national publication that purports to be Catholic. 
(12-10-2012, 12:18 AM)Poche Wrote: Why worry about what the National Catholic Reporter says. They have an editorial policy that is at odds with the Catholic Church. If you spend your time eorrying about what they have to say it wont do you any good. They wont cheange and you spend your time being miserable.
??? ??? ???

That may be, but the Catholic Church seems to think the name is accurate enough.  I'm sure someone would request a name change if they didn't embody a Catholic spirit-- we've seen this done before, where someone in the hierarchy sues someone for using the name "Catholic" in their business. 

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(12-10-2012, 12:25 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
??? ??? ???

I understand that @ 30 - 40 years ago the Catholic Bishops attempted to have them remove the word "Catholic" from the name of their publication.
(12-10-2012, 02:26 AM)Poche Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 12:25 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
??? ??? ???

I understand that @ 30 - 40 years ago the Catholic Bishops attempted to have them remove the word "Catholic" from the name of their publication.

Hrm.  I checked their website.  Still says "Catholic" in the name.

Apparently the bishops are better at killing tradition than reigning in a rogue publication!
I'm fairly sure the National Catholic Reporter was condemned by the local ordinary in the late 60s. 

I posted a mild-mannered statement of the virtues of the Tridentine Mass and the comment was removed within the hour.