Haunting message of forced labor....
(12-26-2012, 06:06 PM)Don Quixote Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 05:45 PM)onosurf Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 05:23 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: It's absolutely deplorable.

This is a sin that cries out to heaven for vengeance. It appears that the whole world is engaged in and promoting all fours: abortion and euthanasia, sodomy, neglecting widows and orphans, and now this. All to back temporary decadence and fleeting pleasures.

Lord have mercy.

Agreed.  The insanity cannot hold its course much longer.

It won't. 
The trade disputes are increasing and soon trading will lessen considerably and don't be surprised if some borders will close.  If you are paying attention Switzerland has slowly
been doing this.  Everyone "get your house in order"

Hey anyone ever take a geiger counter to Chinamart or Targetchina?  The rads rule  :LOL: 
A net rumor is some contaminated "steel"  think nyc was sold or given to China and they turned around and made silverware out of them and sold it back to us.  :crazy:

This is scary.  So the silver wear that I have in my drawer that was bought at Dollarama could have come from the Twin Towers by way of China because the steal from the Twin Towers was immediately shipped to China.  For sure, a geiger counter should be taken through Walmart or Target or Dollarama or numerous other stores.

As far as I'm concerned that will be a happy day when boarders start closing, to bring an end to the so called "free trade" and globalization and a return to tariffs.  We are selling our future away by buying cheaper foreign goods and as we can see people in other countries are not benefiting from it.  Chinese products are too entrenched in our society to just boycott stores like Walmart, Target or Dollarama and it make a difference.  We need to boycott these stores but we also need to source out the remaining products that are just manufactured in North America and buy from local producers.  I'm sure a list of companies that just manufacture in North America would be a much shorter list than stores that are filled with products from China.  If there was a movement started to just buy from companies that just manufacture in North America there would actually be many business start up opportunities to replace the many North American companies that have been bought up by foreign entities and to replace the many cheap foreign goods.  With some research we could start a list of products that need to be replaced.  We have to start realizing that we need to buy better made, more expensive North American products before our society is doomed.  The road to laissez-faire libertarian capitalism that we have been on since the Reagan/Mulroney years has been a total failure.       
If I can find what I am looking for made anywhere but china I will choose the other. I am trying to locate a toaster oven not made in China but it looks like no other country makes them anymore.

I noticed my cephalon fry pan is stamped Ohio- guess its made here, which is why one pan was so much $.

I tried to find crockpots not made in china but no luck, had to buy a china crockpot. Oh, and I am using a china iPhone right now.

I read that Chinese labor will be phased out but companies bringing their business back here- but to use robots which is cheaper in the long run so the US jobs are still gone for good, but they will need people to know how to troubleshoot the robots.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/singularity/...-industry/

http://www.ted.com/talks/vijay_kumar_rob...erate.html

Where will the machine parts be made to make the machines?
From what I read, they will source locally.
Who is to say American workers aren't being exploited by rapacious capitalists?  Why do you assume "made in America" automatically means the workers who produced said products are all receiving a just living wage?

Meh.  Whatever helps you sleep at night.
(12-27-2012, 11:58 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Who is to say American workers aren't being exploited by rapacious capitalists?  Why do you assume "made in America" automatically means the workers who produced said products are all receiving a just living wage?

There are protections in place for workers in your country and in mine that do not exist in China.  While there may be room for improvement here, we do not have a situation approaching the evil of China's.
(12-28-2012, 11:45 AM)JayneK Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 11:58 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Who is to say American workers aren't being exploited by rapacious capitalists?  Why do you assume "made in America" automatically means the workers who produced said products are all receiving a just living wage?

There are protections in place for workers in your country and in mine that do not exist in China.  While there may be room for improvement here, we do not have a situation approaching the evil of China's.

We can thank unions for that.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that communism in China (in some ways) is really just an extreme form of capitalism, where the workers are completely controlled with few rights. A capitalist's dream-come-true.

I partly blame our expensive healthcare here in the US for companies moving to China. Between paying a wage (which is often not much) as well as social security benefits and expensive healthcare benefits, it can be expensive for a company to operate in the US. I think that we need to revamp healthcare, to make it more basic and no frills. Something is wrong when a hospital adds expensive new wings that look like a Marriot hotel. It just isn't necessary.
(12-28-2012, 01:07 PM)Meg Wrote: I think that we need to revamp healthcare.

Dern toot'n we do. It is injustice to those of us who live frugally and responsibly to have to pay exhorbitant hospital bills while a growing portion of society lives irresponsibly and with unnecessary life luxuries and not have to pay medical bills for conditions they incur due to bad eating, non exercise, and overall sloth.

(12-28-2012, 01:07 PM)Meg Wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that communism in China (in some ways) is really just an extreme form of capitalism, where the workers are completely controlled with few rights. A capitalist's dream-come-true.

Capitalism and Communism are twin evils with the same endgame: materialism and loss of sanctity. Sure, a capitalist society will reap benefits of easy and posh living, but the damned stack up and misery sets in after awhile. There is historical precedence for this.
For our healthcare with the Obamacare, our health ins rates tripled and be prepared for the hospital to bill you what the difference is of a hospital stay- if they have a negotiated rate with the ins company to settle the bill that is less then what the hospital charges they will try to stick it to you. It's not allowed but they try, I am fighting it right now.