Orthodox Posters?
(08-21-2013, 11:18 AM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:06 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: There is no conflict here with Catholicism. 

There isn't?  Where does the Catholic Faith say it's okay to use non-Catholic/schismatic sacramentals, etc?

I believe the Jesus Prayer is Eastern Catholic, but not sure the Prayer Rope is???

tim, what????
(08-21-2013, 11:30 AM)christulsa123 Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 11:06 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote: There is no conflict here with Catholicism. 

There isn't?  Where does the Catholic Faith say it's okay to use non-Catholic/schismatic sacramentals, etc?

I believe the Jesus Prayer is Eastern Catholic, but not sure the Prayer Rope is???

tim, what????

If there is an Eastern Catholic connection, then great, but my first reaction to this was why would we pray that Rope instead of the Rosary?
(08-21-2013, 11:58 AM)2Vermont Wrote:

tim, what????

If there is an Eastern Catholic connection, then great, but my first reaction to this was why would we pray that Rope instead of the Rosary?

That was my initial thought too.  To make Eastern Catholic practices a habit, I think the Roman rite Catholic should first be advised about this by their priest or confessor.

I think it is safe to say the Rosary is objectively more efficacious

The Eastern Catholics do use the Prayer Rope with the Jesus Prayer.  I spent a few years attending a Ruthenian Catholic parish.

tim, what????

(08-21-2013, 12:13 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: I think it is safe to say the Rosary is objectively more efficacious

Lolz

It's always gotta be bigger and better in latin, I guess?  Y'all should get diesel trucks, too, to assuage that inferiority complex.
(08-21-2013, 01:56 AM)Landless Laborer Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 07:42 PM)US_Soldier Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 06:22 PM)Doce Me Wrote: This sure doesn't sound like anything any Roman/Eastern Catholic should consider, regardless of the problems with the changes in the Church recently, and the problems some may perceive in the past.  It abandons the moral law, as well as the Catholic tradition and authority that upholds it. 

From the Orthodox folk that I know in real life, Orthodoxy hardly even believes in a moral "law." Obviously they believe in morality, but mostly on a circumstantial basis. Orthodoxy rejects anything similar to the Catholic teaching that lying is ALWAYS sinful, even though St. Augustine himself said, "One may not slay his own soul by lying to save his life." Lying is not intrinsicically evil to to the Orthodox, but is actually justified in many circumstances. To me it reeks of moral relativism. They tend to reject the ideas of absolute morality. And the exceptions to this are nonsensical (for example that violence is always wrong, even in self defense, such that even a soldier whose actions may be justified is still guilty of the sin of murder, a stark contrast to Catholicism). But without a centralized teaching authority it's incredibly difficult to even say what Orthodoxy actually believes since very little of it is formalized into law. In general, Orthodoxy rejects the idea of anything resembling something like a canon law, but again I can hardly even say that for the reason I just stated.

It hurts me inside to see Roman Catholics swept away because they have attached themselves more to a liturgy than to a theology. Orthodox theology is broken, and honestly stupid. They honor tradition, but only insofar as what they remember. What is actually written by the Church Fathers, or the decisions made by the Orthodox Church in times long forgotten, hardly matters to them. Apparently they don't remember the great Orthodox heroes who fought bravely against the Turks to stop the spread of Islam across Europe. Apparently those men are in hell. Even if the TLM was outlawed, I would never leave Catholicism for the sheer reason that it is the only body of thought in all of human history that actually makes any damn sense. I'd sooner suffer through communion in the hand at the command of a bishop, and stand by in my innocence and watch as he is thrown into hell, than apostatize and send myself there.
I'm Orthodox, converting to Roman Catholicism.  Orthodoxy looks great from the outside, but practically, it's an empty shell.  Although they don't admit it, each branch is under the control of its respective state.  They have no universal catechism, because if they tried to produce one, they would expose the fact that they are anything but unified, thus destroying their argument against a central authority.  I disagree with one of the other posters who said remarriage is rarely allowed.  It is constantly allowed.  3, 4, and 5 times depending on the branch.  90% of the populations in Orthodox strongholds are adherents.  But abortions are rampant, as is extra-marital sex...contraception a given.   Most Orthodox (at least in the old world), don't really understand what sin is, the church doesn't catechize the laity, that's reserved for the monastics.  Yes, i'm giving up the beautiful liturgies and iconostasis walls for clown mass.
There was a big change to the Russian liturgy in the 1600's which produced the "Old Believers" schism.   

You don't necessarily have to give up the Eastern Traditions in order to join the RCC.  Are there any Eastern Catholic Churches in your area?

tim, what????
The Eastern Catholics use the Prayer Rope.
(08-21-2013, 12:21 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(08-21-2013, 12:13 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: I think it is safe to say the Rosary is objectively more efficacious

Lolz

It's always gotta be bigger and better in latin, I guess?  Y'all should get diesel trucks, too, to assuage that inferiority complex.

I don't know why that was necessary.  Did Our Lady ask us to pray the Rope or the Rosary?
(08-21-2013, 12:28 PM)2Vermont Wrote: I don't know why that was necessary.  Did Our Lady ask us to pray the Rope or the Rosary?

I don't give private revelation the same credence as I would a public doctrine.  I don't know for certain that she asked us to pray either.

tim, what????

The use of a Chotki goes back to the ancient monastic tradition in the Church, either during or shortly after the time of the Desert Fathers.  Originally it was used for the recitation of Psalm 70-1 over and over again. which is one of the main ways monks fulfilled the command to "pray always" when they were working, or otherwise in between hours of the Divine Office.  Later, the Eastern Tradition developed this into what today is known as the Jesus Prayer.  St. John Cassian discusses this in his writings on the monastic tradition. 

While I agree that the Rosary is a wonderful and edifying prayer, creating some sort of dichotomy between use of the Rosary and a Chotki seems like a bad idea to me.  The Church does not regulate private devotions or private prayer in general.  Sacramentals are not sacraments, and different people are drawn to different devotions and prayer traditions.  We have a dozens of different spiritual traditions in the Church for a reason (Dominicans don't pray exactly the same way as Franciscans, who don't pray exactly the same way as Benedictines, etc.). 

In addition, our Holy Father Pope Francis is frequently seen with one around his wrist. 

There is a group of wonderful Cistercian Nuns who make Chotki as part of their monastery crafts.
http://www.monasterycraftshop.com/handmadechotkis.html
http://www.monasterycraftshop.com/jesusprayer.html
http://www.valleyofourlady.org/cisterciannuns.html