The Huge Censer in the Church of Santiago de Compostela
(07-16-2012, 12:49 AM)10th_Crusader Wrote: I was showing a friend (a Coptic Christian) this video, and she was laughing through the whole thing. We were discussing why the Spaniards are such crazy Catholics. Since the Copts are under such terrible oppression from the Muslims in Egypt, she thought it might be because the Spanish were under Muslim oppression for so long. When the Moors were finally driven out of Spain, they went Catholic-crazy. They built the biggest churches and cathedrals. They did everything bigger, better and more militant and fervent just to really celebrate that they were a true Christian nation. It seems only natural that they would also want to have the world's largest thurible (censer).

She thought the Copts would probably do the same thing (or bigger and crazier) if the Muslims were driven out of Egypt. They would want to build a Cathedral so big, it would be seen from Mecca.

I'm of proud Spanish heritage and the best way I can describe the zeal you mention is being "drunk with Catholicism".  :LOL: I love being Spanish!
There's even an American Journal of Physics article on this thurible.
I took my son when he was 16 to Santiago de Compostela, to experience a truly stunning  Romanesque Cathedral.  The whole cathedral is monumental.  The height of the nave overwhelms the onlooker.  We sat on the granite floor and imagined the millions of pilgrims that had passed through this church since it was built.  We were there during Christmas eve mass, Misa del Gallo, and then Christmas Mass, and the famous botafumeiro was in use.  I was glad that we were seated towards the rear.  :LOL: 
(05-20-2014, 01:13 AM)Catholic-Booklady Wrote: I took my son when he was 16 to Santiago de Compostela, to experience a truly stunning  Romanesque Cathedral.  The whole cathedral is monumental.  The height of the nave overwhelms the onlooker.  We sat on the granite floor and imagined the millions of pilgrims that had passed through this church since it was built.  We were there during Christmas eve mass, Misa del Gallo, and then Christmas Mass, and the famous botafumeiro was in use.  I was glad that we were seated towards the rear.   :LOL:   
Apparently one time the botafumeiro defenestrated itself. :)
(05-20-2014, 01:48 AM)Geremia Wrote:
(05-20-2014, 01:13 AM)Catholic-Booklady Wrote: I took my son when he was 16 to Santiago de Compostela, to experience a truly stunning  Romanesque Cathedral.  The whole cathedral is monumental.  The height of the nave overwhelms the onlooker.  We sat on the granite floor and imagined the millions of pilgrims that had passed through this church since it was built.  We were there during Christmas eve mass, Misa del Gallo, and then Christmas Mass, and the famous botafumeiro was in use.  I was glad that we were seated towards the rear.   :LOL:   
Apparently one time the botafumeiro defenestrated itself. :)
No decapitations either.
Could you imagine if any parish had this censer? Everyone would be smelling holy. I just would not want to get hit by this when it starts swining :LOL:
(05-21-2014, 01:38 AM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: Could you imagine if any parish had this censer? Everyone would be smelling holy. I just would not want to get hit by this when it starts swinging :LOL:
  It has to be a mighty big parish church to handle the size of Compostela's botafumeiro.  But, I can see a smaller version being swung by two stalwart parishioners before mass, so as the faithful enter they smell, what for many of us, is  an association with the sanctity of the mass.
Can you blame them for clapping? It's a bit of a freak show.
I would be hospitalized by the smell alone! Incense gives me violent headaches and a fit of coughing!!!!
(05-21-2014, 08:49 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I would be hospitalized by the smell alone! Incense gives me violent headaches and a fit of coughing!!!!

Wow that is sad to here :'((

My cousin can't be around too much incense because he has fainted before at Mass