Infallibility of the Faith
You problem to me doesn't seem to be a logics or reasoning issue it seems to be more of a faith issue. You cant prove it so you are not going to believe it.
(06-23-2014, 11:06 AM)Melkite Wrote: God desires mercy, not sacrifice.  It doesn't make much sense to say God would rather have us repent of our sins than to offer a burnt calf, and then also require his son to sacrifice himself as the only expiation for our sins.  Either he doesn't want sacrifice, or he does.  If he does, then we better get burning the calves again, because Christ wasn't enough.  If he doesn't, then Christ's death was unnecessary as a sacrifice.

Melkite, would you consider reading the chapter on the Eucharistic Sacrifice in Christ, the Life of the Soul, by Bl. Columba Marmion?  I have never read such an illuminating explanation of why sacrifice is necessary to worship and why it is eminently spiritual.
(06-23-2014, 11:09 AM)Copeland Wrote: I am not comfortable telling my God that he can or cannot do anything considering he is the very reason I am able to take my next breath. 

Then, respectfully, you are not a Catholic, you are a Muslim.
(06-23-2014, 11:12 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(06-23-2014, 11:06 AM)Melkite Wrote: God desires mercy, not sacrifice.  It doesn't make much sense to say God would rather have us repent of our sins than to offer a burnt calf, and then also require his son to sacrifice himself as the only expiation for our sins.  Either he doesn't want sacrifice, or he does.  If he does, then we better get burning the calves again, because Christ wasn't enough.  If he doesn't, then Christ's death was unnecessary as a sacrifice.

Melkite, would you consider reading the chapter on the Eucharistic Sacrifice in Christ, the Life of the Soul, by Bl. Columba Marmion?  I have never read such an illuminating explanation of why sacrifice is necessary to worship and why it is eminently spiritual.

I'll give it a go.  Can it be found on the internet or would I have to purchase the book?
(06-23-2014, 11:09 AM)Copeland Wrote: I am not comfortable telling my God that he can or cannot do anything considering he is the very reason I am able to take my next breath. 

Are you uncomfortable telling God that he cannot become Not God?
Respectfully, I will allow you to test how well it works out with letting God know what his limits are and are not when you die. Afterward if you wouldn't mind swinging back by and letting me know how it went I would be extremely grateful.
(06-23-2014, 11:24 AM)Copeland Wrote: Respectfully, I will allow you to test how well it works out with letting God know what his limits are and are not when you die. Afterward if you wouldn't mind swinging back by and letting me know how it went I would be extremely grateful.

God didn't give you a brain to sacrifice its use.

If I am wrong and God is everything the Old Testament says, then I will be in hell, I could never worship such a monster.  I won't be able to swing back and tell you how it went.
I will say this if the church infallibly declared that God could or could not do a certain something then I am bound to believe it otherwise I will tread VERY lightly. God is much bigger than me and the idea of judgment day is too overwhelming to me to go any further than that.
(06-23-2014, 11:35 AM)Copeland Wrote: I will say this if the church infallibly declared that God could or could not do a certain something then I am bound to believe it otherwise I will tread VERY lightly. God is much bigger than me and the idea of judgment day is too overwhelming to me to go any further than that.

If God is your friend, would he ask you to live in such crippling fear?  Would he want you to?
Melkite,

Do you really think that, in the long history of the Church, no one has wrestled with these difficulties?  If you persist in trying to resolve them by yourself, you are going to fail.  You really need to talk through this with a well-informed pastor or spiritual director who is willing to give you the time and attention you need.  

It seems to me that part of the problem is that you are attributing to Catholicism a Protestant view of redemption and a rather fundamentalist interpretation of Scripture, and you end by rejecting both.  I believe that your premises are wrong.  You are setting up a straw man, calling it Catholicism, and rejecting it.  Also, I suspect that, like many young people (including myself many years ago), you are tempted to reject Christ because you know that He will make certain demands on you with respect to your behavior.  

Just a short point about Abraham and Isaac:  If' you've read the Old Testament, you know how many times God had to warn the Israelites that, when they reached the land of Canaan, they were not to imitate the Canaanite practice of sacrificing their children.  As horrible as this seems to us, it apparently was a constant temptation to Israel.  The story of Abraham and Isaac, among other things, confirms that God, while indeed demanding that we love Him even more than our families ("He who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me"), emphatically does not want parents to sacrifice their children.