Fisher More Academy closing, too
I just received word today that, due to Fisher More College (FMC) having shut down (cf. this), the associated Fisher More Academy (FMA) is shutting down, too, due to poor enrollment. FMC gave FMA much credibility and helped boost its enrollment, but Bp.(?) Olsen having unjustly banned the Latin Mass at FMC destroyed FMA as well.

[Image: 980x431xcancellation1.png.pagespeed.ic.u1e-CYswvF.png]
To be honest, I never thought that whole college could have worked, with or without Bishop Olson's terrible ideas. You cannot run a university for laymen as a monastery without monks. To me, that's what it looked like from the outside. I thought it would have made a better monastery than a university.

Still, these are excellent people. You cannot really win a war against your bishop, so they will have to regroup and they will find other good places to go.
Is there a link to Fisher More College closing? I have a  friend who attends and I haven't heard a peep from them about coming back home or anything of the sort.
(07-16-2014, 03:08 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote: Is there a link to Fisher More College closing? I have a  friend who attends and I haven't heard a peep from them about coming back home or anything of the sort.
The official message is on their website:
[Image: 980x431xcancellation1.png.pagespeed.ic.u1e-CYswvF.png]
But what of the college? I was roaming around their site but I couldn't find anything.
(07-16-2014, 10:04 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote: But what of the college? I was roaming around their site but I couldn't find anything.
Good question
I actually don't know.
(07-16-2014, 11:22 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 10:04 PM)Juanthetuba Wrote: But what of the college? I was roaming around their site but I couldn't find anything.
Good question
I actually don't know.
They responded to me, saying:
Quote:The Board of Directors of the College has been waiting to make any statements until the Ecclesia Dei commission rules on Bishop Olson's action of removing the traditional Latin Mass from the College's chapel. The commission had until this Friday [July 18] to issue a ruling - the College's cannon [sic lawyer, however, has not yet received any notice from the commission. If the commission chooses to remain silent, the next step is to appeal to the Apostolic Signatura, Cardinal Burke. 

It does not appear that College will offer any academic programs this fall as no one has come forth to offer financial support. The accrediting body is currently reviewing the situation and has indicated that they might allow the college to take a one year suspension to regroup and seek the necessary financial backing.

So things are still in flux and we must simply wait patiently for God's will to be known.
(07-16-2014, 08:27 AM)maldon Wrote: To be honest, I never thought that whole college could have worked, with or without Bishop Olson's terrible ideas. You cannot run a university for laymen as a monastery without monks. To me, that's what it looked like from the outside. I thought it would have made a better monastery than a university.

Still, these are excellent people. You cannot really win a war against your bishop, so they will have to regroup and they will find other good places to go.

Interesting insight. Thank you.

I always thought this was hypocritical and a sign of the ongoing war on traditionalists: pick on this little school while Villanova and Georgetown teach that Jesus had brothers and sisters (direct quote from a girl who went to Villanova), etc.

Where do you draw the line with traditionalists, if you're a bishop in the official church? Not with me: I believe the older form is superior, as is my right. Saying that the new Mass is always invalid is crossing the line.

Even if the accusations of crossing that line, of leaving the church essentially (and hey, what happened to the liberals' beloved "academic freedom," such that Charles Curran lectured at Villanova?), and of financial impropriety were true, the bishop should have handled it by NOT attacking our Mass. Just withdraw all priests and declare the place no longer Catholic (as Marist College declared itself). Same thing the liberals deserve.

The big liberal Catholic colleges aren't really Catholic anymore in order to get federal money (actually, technically neither are the conservative ones: all are independent, not diocesan) but pretend they still are in order to get gullible Catholic parents' and alumni money. One Villanova graduate from the '40s didn't buy it: he sent his diploma back.
(07-25-2014, 05:13 AM)youngfogey Wrote: I always thought this was hypocritical and a sign of the ongoing war on traditionalists: pick on this little school while Villanova and Georgetown teach that Jesus had brothers and sisters (direct quote from a girl who went to Villanova), etc.

Bishops and other clergy target traditionalists because they consider traditionalism an indictment of their own practices.  They show more consternation to the extent they believe in their own orthopraxis.

In my view, this situation will continue indefinitely.  Traditionalists must be prepared to accept white martyrdom if they truly embrace the Cross of Jesus Christ.
So Pope Benedict was a respite, not a turnaround. Maybe.