First Latin Mass
I'll be heading out to my first Latin Mass here shortly. I'm very excited to see what all the hub-bub is about and comparing it to the Divine  Liturgy. I'll report back on my thoughts. If there are any Catholics in my area of the traditionalist persuasion they are lucky as the Basilica here offers a Latin Mass every Sunday and one the first Friday of every month.
I'd go bit it's too early and I've got no car right now.  Maybe an old flame of mine will be there ha! She goes to that Mass sometimes.
(06-19-2016, 07:01 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I'd go bit it's too early and I've got no car right now.  Maybe an old flame of mine will be there ha! She goes to that Mass sometimes.

Actually would you go or not?
(06-19-2016, 08:36 AM)puppy99 Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 07:01 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I'd go bit it's too early and I've got no car right now.  Maybe an old flame of mine will be there ha! She goes to that Mass sometimes.

Actually would you go or not?

That's the ONLY Latin Mass in the diocese of St Augustine so I've often been interested in seeing how is done there.  The cathedral is quite pretty, right in downtown Jacksonville. My old flame says it's well done and reverent but not as nice as the old FSSP one we used to go to in Ocala years ago.  I'm curious, but it's two hours away from me.
I expected it to be chanted but it was all spoken. It was very well attended with all the age groups well represented. Honestly  I was expecting more smells and bells so I was a little disappointed. Maybe I just didn't go in with proper expectations.
Sounds like you were expecting a High Mass, but ended up with a Low Mass.
Yep definitely low mass. Very few churches do sung masses on a weekly basis. There are many that never do them at all. Have to see if you can find a schedule somewhere
(06-19-2016, 03:48 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Yep definitely low mass. Very few churches do sung masses on a weekly basis. There are many that never do them at all. Have to see if you can find a schedule somewhere

Interesting. At the three traditional parishes here, there are weekly high Masses every Sunday (except as the SSPX parish during the summers, it's just low Masses). In fact, in my travels, I've found the traditional priestly groups almost always have one of the parish Masses on Sundays as a high Mass.
(06-19-2016, 03:48 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Yep definitely low mass. Very few churches do sung masses on a weekly basis. There are many that never do them at all. Have to see if you can find a schedule somewhere

Oh, I've actually never encountered a church that didn't do a high mass weekly  ???

Silouan, nice that you went! Although the high mass - preferably the solemn high mass - is a much better representative of latin tradition than the low mass. The low mass has historically been the exception, it is not the norm for latin worship. The high mass is what you want, and in my opinion ,it is one of the most beautiful things one can attend.
If you want a high Mass the best bet for you in the Jax area is, sadly, the SSPV in Starke. Heck I don't know if they even have it anymore but they used to.  Starke is semi close to Jacksonville. Be aware though, the SSPV only offers a Mass twice a month.  They are sort of agnostic sedevacantists,if that makes any sense.

There also used to be Holyrood House in Jax,a western rite monastery or chapel, but last I heard the guy running it died or something.

Outside of these you'd have to drive to Sanford for SSPX,Ocala for FSSP (only 6pm on Sundays, off State Road 200 at Queen of Peace Church in the farthest hinterlands of the Orlando diocese) or maybe the Carmelite monastery in Bunnell.