Chevalier Charles Coulombe on Weirdo Trad Parishes
I've been a member of a few trad parishes and never seen anything even approaching what is described in Vox's quote. That said, I have met a lot of strange, aspergic people and it is true that they tend to flock to this sort of thing because of the order and sanity it gives them, not to mention the spiritual graces which make their otherwise difficult existence much more bearable.

As for the question of why charity is the first victim in these parishes, it is often a reaction against what they have gotten at the other parishes. Remembering that most trads are about as informed as Novus Ordites (except in other things), we should recall that to expect them to be able to make fine distinctions and parse difficult theological terms with acuity and precision is a tall order. They are as bludgeoning about the law as Novus Ordites are about mercy and, interestingly, they have the same negative reaction to the opposite camp's pet project as vice versa. The issue here is that the Novus Ordites have claimed a monopoly on mercy and, unless you are "merciful" according to their terms, you are not merciful. Since Trads instinctively realize that the NO version of mercy is clearly not in keeping with Church teaching, they simply reject it altogether and shun any discussion of God's love or His mercy. 

This is something which must be addressed in Trad parishes--the Priests, often, are as guilty here as NO Priests who only ever preach about soft and fuzzy things. It is easy, as a Priest, to preach what you know they want to hear. A good preacher will preach what is hard to hear but must be heard. This changes according to the audience. In NO parishes, the audience must hear about God's Justice. In Trad parishes, we must hear about God's mercy, the danger of Hegelian Dialectical thinking and the problem of scrupulosity. It is two sides of the same coin, frankly, and must be dealt with appropriately.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
[-] The following 4 users Like RyanPatrick's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, MagisterMusicae, Sacred Heart lover, VoxClamantis
Another important point is that many self-styled Trads have yet to really "internalize" tradition in a meaningful way. This usually means that they do not have an appropriate respect for legitimate authority, an appreciation for the need of Grace, and are often tainted with a spiritual pride which damages their ability to be effective members of a community of any sort.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
[-] The following 2 users Like RyanPatrick's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover, VoxClamantis
(01-18-2018, 04:50 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 08:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: A great video, just released today!

Thanks for sharing, Jovan. I'll have to check out this guy's channel. Looks interesting.

I found these videos a few months ago (maybe from a Jovan post, who knows?) and they're really fun to listen to. A lot of great stuff.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
Thanks for sharing, Jovan. I'll have to check out this guy's channel. Looks interesting.

Oh, it is! I've known Charles for about 25 years. He's written numerous books which I highly recommend. He's a witty writer on profound subjects as I said in my review of his latest book, 'A Catholic Quest for the Holy Grail'. I often compare his style to G.K. Chesterton, and I think that Chesterton would probably have sounded a lot like Charles, with an English accent, of course.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
I sell chapel veils to traditionally minded Catholic ladies from all over the place. Mostly the USA and Canada, but other countries, too. Overall, I have the sweetest customers anyone with a mail order business could possibly have. That's a fact. I've only had maybe one or two stinkers and I've been at this now for like about 5 or 6 years. In my experience, most trads are just nice normal people, maybe with a few eccentricities but not nasty by any means.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • VoxClamantis
(01-17-2018, 08:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: A great video, just released today!

I liked the analogy of "The Living Dead" being similar to traditional life. lol
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(01-18-2018, 12:32 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 10:25 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: (snip) 
Quote:My husband and I simply can't stand it anymore, and it is seriously damaging our faith. I've mentioned a few of the things on here before (the "Victorian Men" proposing marriage to my infant daughter and women castigating me for laying my daughter on her back to sleep), but it just keeps getting worse.

Okay, I'll bite: why would women castigate a mother for laying a child on that child's back to sleep? Isn't that the best position to help reduce the chance of SIDS?

Could be any damned thing given the way that woman thinks. Maybe because a baby sleeping on its back invites demons. At least if it's a girl child.

I'm just glad that the woman who was complaining knows that none of that stuff those people were doing/saying is Catholic. Whew!
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(01-18-2018, 05:04 PM)RyanPatrick Wrote: I've been a member of a few trad parishes and never seen anything even approaching what is described in Vox's quote. That said, I have met a lot of strange, aspergic people and it is true that they tend to flock to this sort of thing because of the order and sanity it gives them, not to mention the spiritual graces which make their otherwise difficult existence much more bearable.

Yeah, Aspies tend to crave order -- schedules, everything in its place, etc. -- and anything less can very much upset them.

(01-18-2018, 05:04 PM)RyanPatrick Wrote: As for the question of why charity is the first victim in these parishes, it is often a reaction against what they have gotten at the other parishes. Remembering that most trads are about as informed as Novus Ordites (except in other things), we should recall that to expect them to be able to make fine distinctions and parse difficult theological terms with acuity and precision is a tall order. They are as bludgeoning about the law as Novus Ordites are about mercy and, interestingly, they have the same negative reaction to the opposite camp's pet project as vice versa. The issue here is that the Novus Ordites have claimed a monopoly on mercy and, unless you are "merciful" according to their terms, you are not merciful. Since Trads instinctively realize that the NO version of mercy is clearly not in keeping with Church teaching, they simply reject it altogether and shun any discussion of God's love or His mercy. 

Absolutely. Gang-banging is what it amounts to. Anything that has a whiff of "the other side" is anathema. The same thing happens in American politics. I tweeted this yesterday, a video showing then-President Obama saying everything Trump is saying about immigration, the exact same things that encourage Democrats to call Trump a "racist fascist," blah blah. And Republicans do the same thing, for ex., any mention of care for the poor or about sane, (true) science-based concern for the earth (which the whole "Climate Change" stuff isn't, as far as I can see) is automatically written off as "Commie." (I'm not a Republican so can be pretty objective about this stuff, and I think Democrats tend to be a lot more guilty of that sort of thing).

(01-18-2018, 05:04 PM)RyanPatrick Wrote: This is something which must be addressed in Trad parishes--the Priests, often, are as guilty here as NO Priests who only ever preach about soft and fuzzy things. It is easy, as a Priest, to preach what you know they want to hear. A good preacher will preach what is hard to hear but must be heard. This changes according to the audience. In NO parishes, the audience must hear about God's Justice. In Trad parishes, we must hear about God's mercy, the danger of Hegelian Dialectical thinking and the problem of scrupulosity. It is two sides of the same coin, frankly, and must be dealt with appropriately.

Nice! I agree totally.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(01-18-2018, 05:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Oh, it is! I've known Charles for about 25 years. He's written numerous books which I highly recommend. He's a witty writer on profound subjects as I said in my review of his latest book, 'A Catholic Quest for the Holy Grail'. I often compare his style to G.K. Chesterton, and I think that Chesterton would probably have sounded a lot like Charles, with an English accent, of course.

Today I've been listening to a bunch of his talks on history. Monarchy and Catholicism aside, I'm so interested to know if what he's saying is unique, or is his the Canadian view in general? I mean in terms of what he has to say about the American Revolution, and Catholicism in the States.

Well, I'm not sure what videos you've been watching, but I'm confused by what you mean about 'a Canadian view'. Charles was born in New York City and, to the best of my knowledge, has lived in the States all his life, now residing in the Los Angeles area. His father's people were French Canadian, but Charles is definitely an American.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe