Is Marijuana use mortal sin? I say YES... (and it's now legal in my province.)
I obviously don't partake of Marijuana.  But is it a mortal sin?

To me it would seem like a big YES.  I think it's pretty clear to say that most people want to smoke Marijuana to get high.  Period. 

I believe it's a very evil substance, that opens your imagination to demonic insanity. 

As of 12:01 AM this morning, people can buy Marijuana in my province.
There is no substance that is "evil." Marijuana is a plant. It can be used or abused.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-17-2018, 08:29 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: There is no substance that is "evil." Marijuana is a plant. It can be used or abused.

OK, better question:  can Catholics smoke it?
There was an old thread on here about this topic I found very disappointing. The fish tank was rather sympathetic to recreational drug use.

I am very much against recreational drug use. If you need to wind down, have a small glass of wine.

I view it as a mortal sin. Though I am but a young layman.
Ave Christus Rex!
(10-17-2018, 08:37 AM)FultonFan Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 08:29 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: There is no substance that is "evil." Marijuana is a plant. It can be used or abused.

OK, better question:  can Catholics smoke it?

Depends on why, when, how much, how often, in what circumstances, its legality in a given place, etc., like most anything else. Even the dreaded heroin has medical uses, and there's no sin in, for ex., drinking wine to get mellow or cheerful as long as one doesn't risk one's ability to reason. It might be a good rule of life for most people most of the time to avoid using it, but that doesn't make use thereof, in se, a sin. In my opinion, of all the things in the world to worry about, someone's smoking a doob once in a while doesn't really rank.
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102, Zedta
I think the problem with marijuana is that, unlike alcohol, it's much more difficult to control how it affects you. I can have a glass of beer every few days and have a pretty good idea of how much alcohol I'm consuming, but I'm not aware that it's as simple to measure your intake of THC or other chemicals. I can see being associated with the culture of hallucinogenics becoming a danger as well. It also makes your house smell bad, and your poor neighbors have to endure living next to a hippy (although maybe it could help them grow in patience).
[-] The following 2 users Like friendly.neighborhood.papist's post:
  • mpk1987, Some Guy
I think it would be at least a venial sin in most circumstances. As opposed to alcohol consumption, which in moderate dosis is just meant to provide a refreshening flavour and which only produces damage when ingested in excessive, abusive amounts, smoking marijuana has the direct and deliberate purpose of altering the state of conscience, even with the tiniest dosis, i.e. irrespective of the amount smoked. This besides the immediate, cummulative damage casued by THC, which has been widely proven.

There are of course cases in which marijuana is not sinful, e.g. when used as sedative (just as opium derivatives, widely used in medicine), but these are exceptional. I believe drugs used for "recreational" use sinful (at least venially) per se. Abuse thereon can be a mortal sin (a sin against the 5th Commandment), just as grave and sinnful as excess drinking is.
Out of curiosity, those here who are opposed to marijuana usage, have you ever actually used it?  As someone who has used it, and who rarely uses it, a lot of your objections are coming across as ignorant repetition of fearmongering.  But maybe I've just never had the experiences you're referring to.

Friendly.neighborhood.papist, I wonder if what you are describing is because alcohol is regulated and marijuana, unless you are in a state that allows its sale, is still a black market item that you don't know what you're really getting.  In my experience, the stuff you get from a dispensary in Colorado, you'll respond to it the same each time.  

It's also difficult to control how you will respond to someone's bathtub gin, you know what I mean?  But Beefeater?  You'll have the same reaction as long as you're drinking the same quantity.

In my opinion, if you're only using marijuana moderately, not to get so stoned that you lose control of your rational brain (which does not happen when you use it moderately), the only sin that could be associated with it is breaking a law that is not an unjust hindrance. And then, I imagine it couldn't be more than venial.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • jovan66102
Well I’ve gotten black out drunk more than once, excessively drunk countless times, smoked pot too many times to count and in different quantities (Meaning I understand one could use a one-hitter and be fine), eaten pot brownies of various strengths, abused aderol a handful of times, used coke once, used ecstasy a couple times, and tripped shrooms three times.

College and secular apathy are a dangerous combination.

The closest I ever got to death (to my knowledge) was actually from drinking when I blacked out in high school. I slept in a room that I locked behind me and by the grace of God woke up in order to throw up. (I had been sleeping on my back.)

I don’t mean to brag about my sins, but just thought this would make it very clear that I know what I am talking about but that I also know how innocent pot is relatively speaking. But it blows my mind Catholics would embrace such blantant indulging of the senses. If mortifying our senses helps develop virtue, I would confidently argue that recreational pot use helps develop vice.
Ave Christus Rex!
[-] The following 2 users Like Some Guy's post:
  • Florus, mpk1987
(10-17-2018, 12:29 PM)Some Guy Wrote: But it blows my mind Catholics would embrace such blantant indulging of the senses. If mortifying our senses helps develop virtue, I would confidently argue that recreational pot use helps develop vice.

Smoking cigarettes isn't (necessarily) sinful. Nor is drinking coffee or wine or a smoothie, or eating pie, or running the back of your hand over a piece of silk. And it's not sinful to enjoy all of these. Catholicism isn't anti-pleasure; it's anti-inordinate-pleasure and sin.
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102, Some Guy