Novus Ordo confession
Hi all.  I have been lately having a strong pull to the TLM along with a general pull to traditional Church teachings.  I do have some concerns with partaking in N.O. sacraments.  I do not have a connection with the New Mass at all but at the same time I desire to remain in good standing with the Church.  I have attended an FSSP Latin Mass but something just isn't right with it.  I can't put my hand on it but something is missing.  Does anyone experience this?  I am trying not to rely on emotions and feelings but I would greatly appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks folks.
You are in good standing with the Church regardless if you're going to Holy Mass at an FSSP parish or a standard NO parish. Both are in full communion with Rome.

I don't get emotional highs out of the Latin Mass. However I am skeptical of the NO Mass. (Not in its legitimacy but in its purpose of creation.) Protestants were involved in its creation and there was even a liberal Dutch bishop who said the NO Mass was never created to be followed by its rubric, which itself was already way less meticulous and less systematized than the Latin Mass.

I think everyone should read Dom Prosper Gueranger's commentary on the Holy Mass. It really helped me appreciate the history and theology behind everything that goes on during the Mass.

If all else fails, there's a million people on this forum who will beg you to join Eastern Catholicism.
I attend the Novus Ordo when I need to out of convenience and I go to confession at Novus Ordo churches regularly (the weekly TLMs I attend are typically in diocesan parishes), sometimes I get absolution in the long Latin form, other times in English, other times an abbreviated "I absolve you" type. I'll take the Sacraments where I can get them. The Novus Ordo may be defective or at least less good vs. TLM, but as long as Our Lord is present in the Eucharist (which various post-VII Eucharistic miracles back up the idea that He is) and as long as He acts through the priest when giving absolution, then I'll go when I need to. Feelings or not. Unfortunately, TLM parishes are not always convenient and you need to make due with what you have. In more sane times, we'd be able to attend daily Mass or Confession and go to the parish down the road with no reason to second guess it.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
The sacraments can be valid at a 1969 reform parish as long as the everything required for the sacrament in question is present (form, matter, minister w/ intention to do as the church does).

That doesn't mean that the riites are necessarily licit (i.e., free from mortal sin on the part of the ministers when they use the rites), as even in the Missa Paulina as offered in english there is heresy.  It simply means that the sacraments within the rites can be valid.  It's up to you to discern the body (1 Corr. ch. 11 vs. 29).
(08-28-2018, 09:43 AM)capmchuck Wrote: Hi all.  I have been lately having a strong pull to the TLM along with a general pull to traditional Church teachings.  I do have some concerns with partaking in N.O. sacraments.  I do not have a connection with the New Mass at all but at the same time I desire to remain in good standing with the Church.  I have attended an FSSP Latin Mass but something just isn't right with it.  I can't put my hand on it but something is missing.  Does anyone experience this?  I am trying not to rely on emotions and feelings but I would greatly appreciate some insight on this.

Thanks folks.

Is it perhaps that it feels like the Novus Ordo Mass and Confession feels a bit watered down?  Almost like the Faithful in the Novus Ordo aren't as fervent as those in a schismatic sect? 

I get that, if that's what you're talking about.  When I hear some sedevacantist Catholics discussing theological matters, I often really, really wish they were in good standing with the Church.  What they say is often so theologically rich and beautiful. 

I think it's just important to remember that being a good Catholic is not about "feelings".  It's about us being Faithful to God, growing towards a perfect love for God, and obedience to Him (in love), and loving our neighbor for the love of God. 

I think you just have to ignore the lukewarmness around you and follow Christ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • yablabo
(08-28-2018, 02:18 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Is it perhaps that it feels like the Novus Ordo Mass and Confession feels a bit watered down?  Almost like the Faithful in the Novus Ordo aren't as fervent as those in a schismatic sect? 

I get that, if that's what you're talking about.  When I hear some sedevacantist Catholics discussing theological matters, I often really, really wish they were in good standing with the Church.  What they say is often so theologically rich and beautiful. 

I don't mean this post as an attack, it's more of a commentary of a general feeling I get on trad forums in general at times.

There's nothing wrong with not being theologically learned. That's never been a condition of holiness. There are many people who know the basics and are very holy people. Our Lord never said Thou must be a theologian. When it comes to sedes, each and every one of them became a sede because they dug deep into the crisis, read some pre-vatican II books or saints, and determined (based on their own authority) that the Pope is not the real pope. It's going to make sense that they will be more well learned if they are going to have any kind of rational basis to make a decision that the Chair of Peter is empty. You don't attempt make such a judgement call if you are unlearned.  

When I see many deep theological discussions that occur in this forum and some others I stay away from them. Why? Because I'm nowhere near a theologian and don't proclaim to have a high level of theological knowledge that enables me to participate in such a discussion. By participating in such a discussion I would be doing people a disservice by possibly providing unknowingly false information. Unfortunately, I see a general trend among trads who seem to have a sort of pride in where they think they're so learned when it comes to theology when the truth is that very few have beyond even the most basic knowledge. There's this kind of intellectualism where it almost seems like people judge holiness by how much theology one knows, meanwhile they throw more important indicators like charity out the door. Reading a few books doesn't make one a theologian nor does having above average knowledge of the catechism, a few Councils, or some good saint quotes (possibly taken out of context or intended for a specific audience) that support your position. 

Beyond that, there are many very holy people in Novus Ordo parishes. Sure, maybe in general they may not be the most theologically learned, but that doesn't meant that they can't live their faith well. That they can't love Christ, follow his commandments, and love their neighbor. These types exist in NO parishes just like trad parishes. I've heard of many people in the NO who perform acts of charity out of love for God that would put many people to shame. The difference is that your lukewarm Catholic is obviously going to go to the Novus Ordo because that's the default option. They're certainly not going to travel an hour to go to a TLM. The average TLM goer tends to be more invested in their faith because in order to even know it exists, you need to be more invested. To even get to the few scarce TLMs you need to go out of your way rather than going to the church 5 minutes away (unless you're lucky enough to be one of the few who lives in a town with a TLM). It's not the easiest to find or learn about if you have never been exposed to it. So obviously when it comes to both TLM and the sedes, there's going to be a skew towards people who take their faith more seriously.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • Bonaventure, gospel654
Hi, Campmchuck. That "something wrong" is because it is still Novus Ordo at FSSP. Try the original, SSPX. You may visit their webpage at sspx.org. I called the Diocese and the head of the clergy said, in answer to my specific question, "SSPX is not in formal schism with Rome". I called FSSP, and asked the same simple question, and two office workers raised their voices at me saying "they are in schism! They are not licit! They do not follow the Pope!" I finally got to the Pastor of said FSSP church and he said "SSPX is not in formal schism with Rome", but he thinks their priests are suspended because they do not have ordinary jurisdiction. The lawyers at SSPX say that SSPX has "supplied jurisdiction"& were never legally suspended. Rome says SSPX is in an "irregular situation within the Church". Some Novus Ordo priests will leave you alone if you go to SSPX and others will not. It is probably best to just be quiet about going. If even Rome says they are OK, just a bit of a difficult child of the Church, "who am I to judge?" Smile
Go to the N.O. Mass if you feel more compelled, it's a valid Mass. I hadn't attended a N.O. Mass in years and attended one last week because I wanted to go to confession on that day and they offered it right after Mass and man, (at least for me) while it still may be a valid Mass I'm grateful to have access to the TLM. Everything about the N.O. seemed watered down and hokey to me. 

Even the confession was...different. I just sat down with the priest face to face. I understand that the East uses face to face confession, but I sat in an easy chair and it felt more like a chitchat than a confession. The confessional with a kneeler helps bring to mind that the full weight of my sin and help drive me towards repentance.
I went and got myself a little paten for times when I must go to the NO. Do you think the priest will consider that sort of cheeky? The last time I received at the NO was in Vermont, over the summer. I was trying to receive on the tongue from an EM (stupid of me, I know). Well, the Eucharistic minister almost dropped the host (trying to avoid cooties?) and the Eucharist fell and ended up on his palm. In an effort to prevent the Sacred Host from falling to the ground I grabbed his hand, placed my tongue right on his palm and licked Our Lord up off his hand. OMGosh, what a way to receive. Never again! 
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(01-10-2019, 03:05 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: I went and got myself a little paten for times when I must go to the NO. Do you think the priest will consider that sort of cheeky? The last time I received at the NO was in Vermont, over the summer. I was trying to receive on the tongue from an EM (stupid of me, I know). Well, the Eucharistic minister almost dropped the host (trying to avoid cooties?) and the Eucharist fell and ended up on his palm. In an effort to prevent the Sacred Host from falling to the ground I grabbed his hand, placed my tongue right on his palm and licked Our Lord up off his hand. OMGosh, what a way to receive. Never again! 

I stopped kneeling to receive Holy Communion at the OF because it felt like an EM 'fumbled' the Host around my mouth once. I'm already short when I'm standing, let alone kneeling, so he had some trouble. I always receive on the tongue, though. Thankfully I have a holy priest who understands that sort of thing and doesn't give me the stink-eye.