One more question
Why is it not allowed for remains of the deceased to be scattered, but okay to have relics of the saints hither and yon? Not trying to be facetious, just wanting to know.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
My guess would be something to do with cremation and relics of the saints aren't exactly scattered randomly in the wind never to be seen again (or end up in your drinking water lol)

God Bless :)
[-] The following 2 users Like josh987654321's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Zedta
Interesting.  It seems like it would have to do with the difference in how they're scattered.  Scattering ashes allows them to drift wherever, whereas a saints relics are generally enclosed and protected by a reliquary.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, Zedta
Or even just say keeping the ashes in an urn, say "respectfully" in your home. That's not licit, either. BTW, I don't intend to be cremated.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Zedta
(01-17-2019, 09:22 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Or even just say keeping the ashes in an urn, say "respectfully" in your home.

I hadn't even considered the urn scenario.  I would say that typically one doesn't pray before or venerate a loved one's ashes.

Quote: BTW, I don't intend to be cremated.

Me neither.  I'm going to be stuffed and mounted on the couch wearing a leopard print speedo and holding a beer.  Classy all the way.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 3 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, MaryTN, Zedta
I guess in the case of relics they are divided so that they can be venerated and be involved in healings, prayer, etc., unlike a normal corpse.