Is the New American Bible the worst thing ever created, ever?
(11-19-2019, 11:58 AM)Florus Wrote: the KJV is Protestant. 

Let's not make outlandish claims without evidence...
(11-19-2019, 11:58 AM)Florus Wrote: Trads will tell you to stay miles away from the KJV while pushing a Bible translation that uses it as a main source of inspiration!  :D

One is approved by the Church. The other isn't.

If you have a glass that's 100% water, and the other that's 95% water and 5% poison, just because they look the same doesn't mean you should drink the second glass. But the attitude of most these days is 'how dare the Church tell me what I can and can't read'.
[-] The following 3 users Like Paul's post:
  • jovan66102, SeeTheLight, yablabo
I've been reading the NAB for many years, and I don't see anything heretical from what I've read (I do tend to look at some of the footnotes). Anyway, how differently can someone translate the Bible? Besides, it has an Imprimatur and a Nihil Obstat.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
(11-19-2019, 07:44 PM)ServusDei Wrote: I've been reading the NAB for many years, and I don't see anything heretical from what I've read (I do tend to look at some of the footnotes). Anyway, how differently can someone translate the Bible? Besides, it has an Imprimatur and a Nihil Obstat.

So does the CCC with Francis's additions. I wouldn't trust any Nihil obstat and Imprimatur given after about 1968.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian
(11-19-2019, 07:44 PM)ServusDei Wrote: I've been reading the NAB for many years, and I don't see anything heretical from what I've read (I do tend to look at some of the footnotes). Anyway, how differently can someone translate the Bible? Besides, it has an Imprimatur and a Nihil Obstat.

The Bible can be translated in wildly different ways.  I wouldn't even know where to start with this one.  For one, you could start by looking up why you read the NABRE and not the NAB.  That will give you just a taste of the sheer evil and manipulation that can go into translating a Bible for one's own ends.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • ServusDei
Knox is eminently readable when it comes to the Epistles and Gospels but I don't care for some of the Prophets in his translation.  I have to give Msgr. Knox credit where credit is due, you've got to be pretty smart to be able to tackle translating the whole Bible and compare sources in the original languages.  I would argue very few people in any era have the intellectual and linguistic abilities for it and very few are probably capable of learning those skills.  

When it comes to scripture I think a lot of us like to have different versions to compare and read through.  The Bible is the richest, deepest text known to man and its impossible to capture every dimension of its contents in any one translation.  

Personally I like to have as many decent translations as I can get for reference.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • Fionnchu
The KJV (be careful about which edition) is a great one to use for multiple reasons.

Because it was made for Anglicans, it takes a more Catholic angle on many things than do most Catholic Bibles.

I will also shock your Prot friends when the KJV takes the Catholic side against the NIV.

And the errors in earlier editions of the KJV do not evince an argument against Catholicism as do errors in the NIV.

Honestly, it isn't my favorite, but the translation itself is pretty unobjectionable in terms of orthodoxy; when it reads opinions into an ambiguous text, it reads a Catholic opinion in there (not that this is necessarily good).

But the footnotes are a serious problem. Whenever possible, it ascribes a historical error to the writer , or it will suppose a contradiction where there needn't be one. For example, it says that Abraham could not have had camels as is recorded, that Jericho would not have had the wall, and that  Luke 2 makes historical errors. 

The footnotes are also married to the whole, J P T school of the Old Testament criticism.
(11-20-2019, 08:09 PM)meandmyshadow Wrote: The footnotes are also married to the whole, J P T school of the Old Testament criticism.

St. JP2 old testament criticism? I don't think anything he wrote is bad at all -- he explained lots of things profoundly.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
(11-19-2019, 11:58 AM)Florus Wrote: My go to has been the Douay-Rheims Challoner revision for years and I love it. Challoner's revision, interestingly, is based so heavily on the KJV to the point where many parts are almost identical. Trads will tell you to stay miles away from the KJV while pushing a Bible translation that uses it as a main source of inspiration!  :D

I always wondered about this too. As if the D-R/C was commissioned to compete for market share Counter-Reformation.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)