The Christmas (Eve) menu and trying not to have anxiety over it
Has anyone started for Christmas Eve yet?  I'm panicking already.  As far as I know none of the relatives are coming over, and I'm supposed to be dropping off the food.
I am going to take extra time off from work to get things started, but it already seems overwhelming.

My tentative menu below.  I'm curious what others are making.  Maybe I can swap things out for less labor intensive dishes, or at least less labor intensive than these.  I know for sure there's a few I can make whenever and freeze, but I still think it's going to be a marathon week.

1. Beet soup (undecided about making the dumplings, it took a thousand hours last year for some reason)
2. Mushroom soup
3. Vegetable salad -  from the boiled vegetables from the soup base
4. Cabbage and split peas
5. Potato pierogi (going to buy, especially if I don't make the mushroom dumplings)
6. Fried shrimp and scallops
7. Cauliflower with breadcrumbs 
8. Rice stuffed cabbage
9. Mushroom and onion croquettes
10. Cheesecake
11. Poppyseed bread 
12. Fruitcake

I still have nightmares about seeing the carp in the barrels at the stores, so no, I will not be making "real" fish.

I kept intending to make krupnik or 44 this year, but it's way too late to start either of those.  In fact, I should have started no less than 24 days ago.
(12-04-2020, 11:39 PM)Pandora Wrote: Has anyone started for Christmas Eve yet?  I'm panicking already.  As far as I know none of the relatives are coming over, and I'm supposed to be dropping off the food.
I am going to take extra time off from work to get things started, but it already seems overwhelming.

My tentative menu below.  I'm curious what others are making.  Maybe I can swap things out for less labor intensive dishes, or at least less labor intensive than these.  I know for sure there's a few I can make whenever and freeze, but I still think it's going to be a marathon week.

1. Beet soup (undecided about making the dumplings, it took a thousand hours last year for some reason)
2. Mushroom soup
3. Vegetable salad -  from the boiled vegetables from the soup base
4. Cabbage and split peas
5. Potato pierogi (going to buy, especially if I don't make the mushroom dumplings)
6. Fried shrimp and scallops
7. Cauliflower with breadcrumbs 
8. Rice stuffed cabbage
9. Mushroom and onion croquettes
10. Cheesecake
11. Poppyseed bread 
12. Fruitcake

I still have nightmares about seeing the carp in the barrels at the stores, so no, I will not be making "real" fish.

I kept intending to make krupnik or 44 this year, but it's way too late to start either of those.  In fact, I should have started no less than 24 days ago.

Low keying it this year but both my kids and grandson will be coming by for Christmas so I am trying to pass off family traditions.

1. linguine with clam sauce
2. baked cod
3. fried shrimp
4. maybe cioppino, depends on the shellfish that are available during trip to the pier.

Not for Christmas Eve but, Christmas day, need to begin making the cappelletti, or pope hats, as my parentals and grand parentals used to call them.
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
I am working on low sugar, low sodium treats (and lower fats as well).  In addition, I am considering ordering in a slice of kugelis from my cousin’s bakery in Chicago.  Normally I would make my own, but being on a restricted diet means there will be no one to finish an entire tray! I may drag out my latke recipe and make one or two as a special lunch, but I haven’t decided.

For the most part, my husband and I will have roast beef with fresh vegetables and fruit.
(12-05-2020, 11:55 AM)yablabo Wrote: I am working on low sugar, low sodium treats (and lower fats as well).  In addition, I am considering ordering in a slice of kugelis from my cousin’s bakery in Chicago.  Normally I would make my own, but being on a restricted diet means there will be no one to finish an entire tray! I may drag out my latke recipe and make one or two as a special lunch, but I haven’t decided.

For the most part, my husband and I will have roast beef with fresh vegetables and fruit.

You’ll have meat on Christmas Eve?  I must admit, that’s an utterly foreign concept to me.  Christmas Day is when the meat comes out.

For snacks, there are decent recipes for SF merengue cookies that will tick most of the boxes you’re aiming to.  They are laborious and time consuming to make, require a piping bag, and will tie up your oven for the entirety of the day, but you’ll know exactly what is and isn’t in them.
I need to search for a good lasagna verde recipe.  For my oldest who's dairy-free, I'll cook some salmon.  Is Pandora going to have pan d'oro for Christmas breakfast? ;-)
After Christmas Eve, I don’t think anyone has room for breakfast!  I can tell you, though, that I’m mildly curious about tatertot breakfast casseroles that people have for Christmas brunch, but not enough to actually make one.  Someone who married into the family once made a breakfast casserole of eggs and seasoned croutons, and I’ve sworn off processed food casseroles since that day.

For the lasagna verde, you might want to try this one.  I didn’t see eggs in the filling, which I thought was a bit weird, but the finished product appeared to stay together.  I like Dinner Party Tonight, although I do fast forward over any “social commentary,” which in truth is not as often as one might expect.

[-] The following 2 users Like Pandora's post:
  • Ambrosiano, yablabo
(12-05-2020, 12:49 PM)Pandora Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 11:55 AM)yablabo Wrote: I am working on low sugar, low sodium treats (and lower fats as well).  In addition, I am considering ordering in a slice of kugelis from my cousin’s bakery in Chicago.  Normally I would make my own, but being on a restricted diet means there will be no one to finish an entire tray! I may drag out my latke recipe and make one or two as a special lunch, but I haven’t decided.

You’ll have meat on Christmas Eve?  I must admit, that’s an utterly foreign concept to me.  Christmas Day is when the meat comes out.

For snacks, there are decent recipes for SF merengue cookies that will tick most of the boxes you’re aiming to.  They are laborious and time consuming to make, require a piping bag, and will tie up your oven for the entirety of the day, but you’ll know exactly what is and isn’t in them.

We do not practice the fasting and abstinence on Christmas Eve; it is no longer obligatory.  I think that is great that some people choose to keep the custom alive, though.  Good on you!
(12-05-2020, 11:36 PM)yablabo Wrote: We do not practice the fasting and abstinence on Christmas Eve; it is no longer obligatory.

Nor are most of the other things that make us "traditional Catholics", but given how throwing out almost all the fasting days has greatly scandalized the faithful and weakened the Church, I would be fearful of not keeping what really ought to still be the rules.

We have it so easy compared to our forefathers. This really isn't right.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NSMSSS's post:
  • Pandora
(12-05-2020, 06:21 PM)Ambrosiano Wrote: I need to search for a good lasagna verde recipe.  For my oldest who's dairy-free, I'll cook some salmon.  Is Pandora going to have pan d'oro for Christmas breakfast? ;-)

Despite the fact this pun initially went over my head since one word’s roots are Italian and the other’s are Greek, I thought it was apropos that I saw for the first time ever, a bread machine panettone:

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/recipe/swe...-panettone

Looks like they want you to bake it in a waxed paper mold, though.  If you’re OG, you’ll just use the “big” tomato can you always do instead.  Not sure how I feel about Amaretto, I feel like it should be rum.
How do you do all this?!