Is taking the COVID vaccine a mortal sin?
If our Pope approves of the vaccines, and the USCCB approves of the vaccines, then is taking the vaccine a mortal sin? 

If you believe that it is a mortal sin, then on what authority do you base that belief?
(01-19-2021, 02:20 PM)Matas Wrote: If our Pope approves of the vaccines, and the USCCB approves of the vaccines, then is taking the vaccine a mortal sin? 

If you believe that it is a mortal sin, then on what authority do you base that belief?

It is not a mortal sin, or even a venial sin.  Neither is it morally obligatory.  But if you choose to get it, you should get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines instead of the Oxford/AstraZenica one, because the latter is created with foetal stem cells from aborted babies. The former two were regrettably tested upon the same, but there's a key difference between "having been tested on" and "being made from" as far as the vaccine you receive is concerned.

A few links for consideration, wherein priests who are experts in bioethics or biology comment:

https://www.hprweb.com/2020/12/should-ca...9-vaccine/
https://www.facebook.com/father.nic/post...6805135767
(Summary of the previous, off-Facebook) https://cbcpnews.net/cbcpnews/filipino-d...s-vaccine/
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
I think it comes down to the remote material cooperation question.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were tested using cells reproduced from cells taken from a baby aborted in 1973. So yes, there is remote material cooperation in the sense that the woman who voluntarily aborted her baby committed a mortal sin. For her, but not for someone getting the vaccine.

Consider all the things in your daily life that are remote material cooperations with sin. Participating in modern society requires us to do it all the time. For example, we pay federal taxes that fund abortions that are performed right now. We have the choice to refuse to pay them, but if we do we go to prison.

I'll personally avoid taking the vaccine if I can because I view it as scandalous to a degree, but not a mortal sin. However, I may eventually get the vaccine if mandated.
(01-19-2021, 02:20 PM)Matas Wrote: If our Pope approves of the vaccines, and the USCCB approves of the vaccines, then is taking the vaccine a mortal sin? 

Francis and the USCCB have demonstrated repeatedly their unwillingness to present the true Faith. With each Marxist cause they have espoused, with each abusive cleric they have enabled, with each enemy of the Faith that they have honored, they have eroded their personal moral authority. They cannot now approve of something, encourage it, or even mandate it, and expect faithful, informed Catholics to simply follow their instructions. Francis has already gone where I cannot follow on matters that don’t even have much to do with me. I’m certainly not going to blindly follow them on matters of my own well-being. I may get a vaccine, but not because Francis or the USCCB tell me to get it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Credidi Propter's post:
  • jack89, jovan66102
I am going to get the Pfizer. My very traditional confessor has no qualms about that one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KyPerson's post:
  • jack89
(01-20-2021, 12:50 PM)KyPerson Wrote: I am going to get the Pfizer.  My very traditional confessor has no qualms about that one.

Mine as well, but I'm still not comfortable with it.  I don't think it's a mortal sin to receive the immunization, but I'll avoid it if I can.
This falls under remote material cooperation, and the Vatican addressed the question almost 20 years ago. They used the rubella vaccine as an example because the rubella vaccine is also tainted by abortion.

Because rubella is a serious disease with significant morbidity and mortality, it may be permissible for Christians to receive that vaccine.

But COVID, with its 99.7% recovery rate? I'm not sure the same calculus applies, and I wouldn't receive the vaccine myself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Fortunabeargirl
(01-19-2021, 02:20 PM)Matas Wrote: is taking the vaccine a mortal sin?

Another important consideration is that we are called to avoid all sin, not just mortal sin.

Whether a sin is mortal determines only whether we need confession. Veniality does not make sin permissible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Augustinian
There are those who do not like Pope Francis or the USCCB, but that is not the issue.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/...able-95774
(01-20-2021, 04:55 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 02:20 PM)Matas Wrote: is taking the vaccine a mortal sin?

Another important consideration is that we are called to avoid all sin, not just mortal sin.

Whether a sin is mortal determines only whether we need confession. Veniality does not make sin permissible.
A-men. Sin is sin is sin.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4