...is it a sin to wear NIKE ?
Question 
...This one was a matter of time before I asked this question: So super long time ago out of boredom I decided to read up on the NIKE brand and their history etc, So from what I remember the name and swoosh stands for some Greek god of lightning etc, So considering everything that OurFather said in the Old Testament concerning false gods, destroying idols etc etc., Is it actually a sin to wear such brand?. It’s just well made clothing, I will never bow down or worship any other god but God.
I believe you are scrupulous.
Ite ad Ioseph
[-] The following 2 users Like Ioannes_L's post:
  • Machabeus, Materdolorosa
Nike is so 2010. The kids today are wearing Pachamama kicks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • newenglandsun
You must throw the Nikes out, because wearing a shoe is the same as bowing down before worshiping that which is symbolized by any logo that might be on said shoe. And you can't use the words Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, January, March, June, volcano, chronological, cereal, morphine, aphrodisiac, panic, jovial, and a million others. 

Seriously though, I'd be more worried about supporting a company that uses slave labor: https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/16263...labor-nike
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 4 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Ioannes_L, J Michael, Matthew7-7, newenglandsun
(02-20-2021, 04:58 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: You must throw the Nikes out, because wearing a shoe is the same as bowing down before worshiping that which is symbolized by any logo that might be on said shoe. And you can't use the words Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, January, March, June, volcano, chronological, cereal, morphine, aphrodisiac, panic, jovial, and a million others. 

Seriously though, I'd be more worried about supporting a company that uses slave labor: https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/16263...labor-nike

Ugh that was an interesting read, I heard about bad conditions and long hours but this just sounds like Nazi germany all over again. ‘Dedicated trains filled with minorities to labour camps’
Coach Bowerman was a ΒΘΠ so it only goes to reason he might choose the greek godness of victory name for no other reason then he wished his track team to win with his new lightweight waffle-soled track shoes. Don't think him or Phil Knight ever imagined how things would turn out in the long run. And yeah Phil Knight innovated off-shore manufacturing thing with Malaysia IIRC and at the time it was a win win for all involved, more neighbors helping neighbors then sweat-shop labor, but now shrewder minds have taken over (as usual)

I have to admit though I just received a pair of Nike shorts from the Goodwill and am quite proud of them
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Would you be comfortable placing your hand upon the Scriptures and saying: “Yes, I have definitely, willfully sinned against the First Commandment by praying to my shoes”? The fact you’re even asking a question like this should tell you that the last thing you intend on doing is “worshipping” footwear.

There are some Protestant sects that refuse any religious imagery of any kind, as having religious images (even a crucifix), to them, is like worshipping something in the place of God.

Before I came home to the Catholic Church, I used to frequent a place called the “Gospel Hall”, which was basically some sort of fundamentalist/Baptist/Puritan group. Anyway, people literally sat in a room with the chairs set around the room in a square shape. There were no musical instruments. Every hymn was sung Acapella (and, pretty badly). I think there were some Scriptural verses written on the walls, but no religious images or pictures. Very strange, joyless place, in hindsight. Ironically, these people would probably accuse Catholicism of “superstition”.
[-] The following 4 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • HedgeKnight, jovan66102, Machabeus, newenglandsun
(02-20-2021, 06:59 PM)FultonFan Wrote: Would you be comfortable placing your hand upon the Scriptures and saying: “Yes, I have definitely, willfully sinned against the First Commandment by praying to my shoes”? The fact you’re even asking a question like this should tell you that the last thing you intend on doing is “worshipping” footwear.

There are some Protestant sects that refuse any religious imagery of any kind, as having religious images (even a crucifix), to them, is like worshipping something in the place of God.

Before I came home to the Catholic Church, I used to frequent a place called the “Gospel Hall”, which was basically some sort of fundamentalist/Baptist/Puritan group. Anyway, people literally sat in a room with the chairs set around the room in a square shape. There were no musical instruments. Every hymn was sung Acapella (and, pretty badly). I think there were some Scriptural verses written on the walls, but no religious images or pictures. Very strange, joyless place, in hindsight. Ironically, these people would probably accuse Catholicism of “superstition”.

very good point, thank you.
(02-20-2021, 04:58 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: You must throw the Nikes out, because wearing a shoe is the same as bowing down before worshiping that which is symbolized by any logo that might be on said shoe. And you can't use the words Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, January, March, June, volcano, chronological, cereal, morphine, aphrodisiac, panic, jovial, and a million others. 

Or Monday, from the moon goddess Luna (French lundi, Italian, lunedi).

Or Saturday, from the Latin, Sāturni diēs ("Saturn's Day") for the God Saturn.

Or May, (in Latin, Maius) which was named for the Greek Goddess Maia, who was identified with the Roman era goddess of fertility, 
Bona Dea.

Oh, and you can't have discussions about astronomy! All the planets and such are named for pagan gods.

Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • newenglandsun
(02-20-2021, 07:08 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Or Monday, from the moon goddess Luna (French lundi, Italian, lunedi).

Or Saturday, from the Latin, Sāturni diēs ("Saturn's Day") for the God Saturn.

Or May, (in Latin, Maius) was named for the Greek Goddess Maia, who was identified with the Roman era goddess of fertility, 
Bona Dea.

Oh, and you can't have discussions about astronomy! All the planets and such are named for pagan gods.

I better stop looking at Jupiter and Saturn through my telescope lol.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 2 users Like SeeTheLight's post:
  • jovan66102, Machabeus