Our son
Hello everyone.

I hope and pray you all are doing well and are having a good start to Lent.

There has been a question on my mind for a while.  Our oldest son, who is 16, is away at a private school.  From 8-10th grade he gave us an excruciatingly difficult time from bad behaviors to drug use (marij.) The summer he was about to enter 11th grade we gave him a choice to either continue on the path and deal with the consequences or he could go to the school.  The school is related to the TFP organization.  Does anyone know anything about this organization being "strange" or not recommended?

He wound up going to their camp and came back a lot more mature.  They were looking to see if he had the devotions to the Faith and the proper attitude toward it, which he did and which confused us more.  But, long story short, after the camp we told him that if he truly wants to go to the school full time that he needed to pray and let us know.  He stated he did and wrote the headmaster asking for permission to enter.  They took him and he has been absolutely thriving.  

After he was there a few months, I asked another Catholic media outlet if they knew of the school and if I should be concerned.  They got back to me and stated that they do good things and that I shouldn't be concerned.

However, after I was in contact with the Catholic media outlet, I started to doubt and did more research and some folks, on various sites, stated negative things about the school.  

He's been at the school for almost 7 months now and every time we talk to him something about him improves; from his faith to his speech and education, so we see the good that they are doing with him.  But, I'm afraid that they could be scaring him into behaving.  I get concerned if we put him in a false light??

I'm trying to trust Our Lord that I shouldn't worry and that he will protect him and do good things with him.

Pax
(02-23-2021, 04:58 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: The school is related to the TFP organization.  Does anyone know anything about this organization being "strange" or not recommended?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_S...d_Property

Quote:Catholic priest James Martin, referring to the American TFP and to the organisation Church Militant commented that “These online hate groups are now more powerful than local churches”.

If James Martin hates them, they must be doing something right. Joking aside, just read everything about them that you can find. Left-wingers in both the United States and in Brazil love to criticize them, so it shouldn't be hard to find criticism.

https://wherepeteris.com/is-it-time-for-...ainst-tfp/

A majority of the Brazilian Bishops approved this piece in 1985. You'll notice that it opens by begging the question:

Quote:The lack of communion of TFP (the Brazilian Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family, and Property) with the Church in Brazil, its hierarchy, and the Holy Father is well known.

Its esoteric character, the religious fanaticism, the cult given to the personality of its leader and his mother, the abusive use of the name of Mary Most Holy, according to news items circulated, cannot in any way merit the approval of the Church.

We regret the inconveniences occasioned by a civil society that manifests itself as a Catholic religious entity, without connection to the legitimate shepherds.

That being so, the Bishops of Brazil exhort Catholics not to join TFP or collaborate with it.
(02-23-2021, 05:25 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 04:58 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: The school is related to the TFP organization.  Does anyone know anything about this organization being "strange" or not recommended?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_S...d_Property

Quote:Catholic priest James Martin, referring to the American TFP and to the organisation Church Militant commented that “These online hate groups are now more powerful than local churches”.

If James Martin hates them, they must be doing something right.  Joking aside, just read everything about them that you can find.  Left-wingers in both the United States and in Brazil love to criticize them, so it shouldn't be hard to find criticism.

https://wherepeteris.com/is-it-time-for-...ainst-tfp/

A majority of the Brazilian Bishops approved this piece in 1985.  You'll notice that it opens by begging the question:

Quote:The lack of communion of TFP (the Brazilian Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family, and Property) with the Church in Brazil, its hierarchy, and the Holy Father is well known.

Its esoteric character, the religious fanaticism, the cult given to the personality of its leader and his mother, the abusive use of the name of Mary Most Holy, according to news items circulated, cannot in any way merit the approval of the Church.

We regret the inconveniences occasioned by a civil society that manifests itself as a Catholic religious entity, without connection to the legitimate shepherds.

That being so, the Bishops of Brazil exhort Catholics not to join TFP or collaborate with it.

Thank you for the information.  

We have asked him if they are pushing him away from the Faith and the Holy Father and he has confidently said no.  He has expressed concern and disgust for what Pope Francis is saying and doing.  

What could/should we be asking him to find out if they are leading him away from the authority of the Magisterium (which I strongly believe they are not doing)?

Pax
(02-23-2021, 04:58 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Does anyone know anything about this organization being "strange" or not recommended?
The original Brazilian TFP had a healthy beggining, acting through a local Marian congregation newspaper, it's main goal was to give people a good intelectual and religious base, while respecting authority. Eventually everything went downhill, their anti-clericalism became quite clear, which caused many good prelates to abandon them, and those who stood found themselves led by Plinio.
Later in life everything became even more weird, with a cult being formed towards him and his mother, not to mention those pseudo-medieval cerimonies and the "slaves" he gathered.
He died, and with the ascension of his "sucessor" came all the bickerings, which led to the end of the TFP, the creation of the IPCO(Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira Institute) and the Arautos do Evangelho(Heralds of the Gospel). The first is mostly formed by elder monarchist members of the TFP, and the second succedes in being far stranger than the late TFP, with its medieval imagery and military lifestyle.

Now, has the US TFP became another BR TFP? I don't know for sure, but further investigation would be a good decision.
Ite ad Ioseph
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ioannes_L's post:
  • ActusFidei313
(02-23-2021, 07:28 PM)Ioannes_L Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 04:58 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Does anyone know anything about this organization being "strange" or not recommended?
The original Brazilian TFP had a healthy beggining, acting through a local Marian congregation newspaper, it's main goal was to give people a good intelectual and religious base, while respecting authority. Eventually everything went downhill, their anti-clericalism became quite clear, which caused many good prelates to abandon them, and those who stood found themselves led by Plinio.
Later in life everything became even more weird, with a cult being formed towards him and his mother, not to mention those pseudo-medieval cerimonies and the "slaves" he gathered.
He died, and with the ascension of his "sucessor" came all the bickerings, which led to the end of the TFP, the creation of the IPCO(Plinio Corrêa de Oliveira Institute) and the Arautos do Evangelho(Heralds of the Gospel). The first is mostly formed by elder monarchist members of the TFP, and the second succedes in being far stranger than the late TFP, with its medieval imagery and military lifestyle.

Now, has the US TFP became another BR TFP? I don't know for sure, but further investigation would be a good decision.

Thank you too for the information.

I guess I'm still not sure if we should pull him out??

They have been such a good influence on him and he has benefited tremendously from being around young Catholic men his age.  They also have a wonderful devotion to Our Lady.

At home there is nothing for him, esp in the way of "friends".  There isn't another solid Catholic school to send him to that we can afford either.  

It's funny because it was our parish priest who got us in touch with the headmaster.

Are we being disobedient to the Church by having him there?

Do you think there are any other questions we can ask him to gauge if they are influencing him away from the authority of the Church?

Pax
(02-23-2021, 06:21 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: What could/should we be asking him to find out if they are leading him away from the authority of the Magisterium (which I strongly believe they are not doing)?

I can't come up with anything in particular, other than to be interested in his studies and talk openly about the school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • ActusFidei313
I remember a guy from TFP visited our church once and gave a conference. Seemed great to me.
Did a basic search online and the only thing I could find is that they are very traditional, very keen on instilling in their students the dogma of marriage is between one man and one woman.

They are lambasted alot by the southern poverty law firm as well as Fr James Martin for the above, as the school hasa very strict policy against LGBT.

I have not been able to find anything that is worrying, illegal etc about them. My personal opinion, they seem like a good school. Keep the communication going between your son and your self about current events in the church, church teaching, school etc. If things start to be heretical, then I would be concerned. Expressing concern and disgust at thinks that the pope does is not bad, and in some cases warranted in certain cases. Im thinking at disgust and concern about the pachamama scandal, the relativizing of religions, downplaying large families etc. These things are contrary to the faith, and should be met with concern and disgust. If its agaisnt the papacy as a whole, or a personal attack on the pope, then that woudl be something to have some concern about. Think of this website. We have many (myself included) who are as faithful to the church as we can be, and as part of that faithfulness, we call out issues with the pope and the church. We judge the actions of the pope, not the pope himself. Big distinction there.

If it was my son, I woudl be fine leaving him there. If concerned, go see it with him, and ask questions now and then about stuff said by the pope, things that go on in the church like 'what do you think of this case'. Have it as a discussion, see what his mindset, thought process is.