Mr. Potato Head is now a eunuch
farronwolf Wrote:There are more than two genders. Science backs this up.

Are you talking about intersex conditions?  There is no question that these conditions occur. But I would not necessarily classify these as different genders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Evangelium's post:
  • newenglandsun
A simple basic run explanation. As I am not a geneticist, the real science is beyond me.

https://www.joshuakennon.com/the-six-com...in-humans/

The six biological karyotype sexes that do not result in death to the fetus are:

X – Roughly 1 in 2,000 to 1 in 5,000 people (Turner’s )
XX – Most common form of female
XXY – Roughly 1 in 500 to 1 in 1,000 people (Klinefelter)
XY – Most common form of male
XYY – Roughly 1 out of 1,000 people
XXXY – Roughly 1 in 18,000 to 1 in 50,000 births

When you consider that there are 7,000,000,000 alive on the planet, there are almost assuredly tens of millions of people who are not male or female. Many times, these people are unaware of their true sex. It’s interesting to note that everyone assumes that they, personally, are XY or XX. One study in Great Britain showed that 97 out of 100 people who were XYY had no idea. They thought they were a traditional male and had few signs otherwise.
There are many more intersex conditions than just the chromosomal conditions you list.
(02-27-2021, 03:06 PM)Evangelium Wrote:
farronwolf Wrote:Honest answer, I came to the forum for Catholic discussion.  What I have found so far is not what I expected.

Farronwolf, if you want Catholic discussion, why don't you post in a subforum other than Secular News?  You might find more agreeable discussion in Catholicism.

In Secular News, a far right and Trumpist outlook prevails.  If you are truly Catholic (and I have no doubt that you are), you should find more agreement in Catholicism.

Trump isn't far right. He's an ally on many (not all) of the most important social issues. Catholics don't have many political allies, especially ones who make it big; we should support the ones who do especially considering the consequences of not supporting them nowadays.

The people you call far right are against gay marriage, treating gender dysphoria as anything but a mental illness, and killing babies. They're against destroying people's livelihoods and children's moral, social, and intellectual formation to stop a virus that has a 99.99% survival rate. There's nothing far right about knowing that two plus two make four, and opposing those who mandate that public forums (including schools) teach that 2+2="whatever you want except 4, because that answer comes from white-supremacy and patriarchy".
amare nesciri
[-] The following 1 user Likes Filiolus's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
It's probably against my better judgment to even comment here(and I'm sure people have heard this 1000 times before, and Evangelium seems to have already hinted at it).  But I've got an itch and I have to scratch it.

The gender and sex issues while they may intersect are separate issues.  It seems like people use the terms interchangeably in these debates.  

I'm only saying this as a reminder for clarity in the conversation.  

P.S.  Science says nothing about how many genders there are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MacPasquale's post:
  • Evangelium
(02-27-2021, 10:01 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: P.S.  Science says nothing about how many genders there are.

That's because gender has always pertained to grammar, not to sex, though the grammatical gender of a word was based on an animal's sex when relevant. 

To discuss a person's "gender" apart from their body makes no sense.

ETA: What I meant to say above is that "gender" was never anything but a grammatical convention, and that for animals that convention is based on the animal's sex. It is not some kind of ontological state that is prior to the body, so there is nothing there that can transition. So if we start calling "he's" "she's", it's not polite, it's just a lie.

And if a person feels like his body ought to be mutilated so that he can feel at home - well, if that's not mental illness I don't know what is.
amare nesciri
[-] The following 2 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, DNJC.org
(02-27-2021, 10:01 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: The gender and sex issues while they may intersect are separate issues.

This is not a universal opinion, even in a secular context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_ge...istinction
(02-27-2021, 10:35 PM)DNJC.org Wrote: However, if I were an alcoholic the solution wouldn't be to normalize alcoholism!

I've made this comparison before, and it always seems to offend liberals, but it never offends alcoholics...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • DNJC.org
(02-27-2021, 08:03 PM)farronwolf Wrote: There are more than two genders.   Science backs this up.

Science does no such thing. Linguistics does, however. Latin, for example, has three genders, although most of the languages descended from it only have two. English doesn't have gender anymore, except for pronouns.

The word you're looking for is 'sex', and while intersex conditions do exist, that's not what companies like Hasbro are trying to normalise. And you can't change from one sex to another, no matter how much you mutilate your genitals.
[-] The following 3 users Like Paul's post:
  • antiquarian, Filiolus, jovan66102
(02-27-2021, 10:22 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 10:01 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: The gender and sex issues while they may intersect are separate issues.

This is not a universal opinion, even in a secular context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_ge...istinction
It is when we're talking about the ideological war that's going on today.   

The people we're debating on this issue take that for granted.  If we actually want to debate the issue we need to make the proper distinctions.  Even if we want to debate whether the distinctions are asinine we still have to make those distinctions.

Even Pinker, who identifies as a feminist(no pun intended) would still use the the terminology in order to debate those in Judith Butler's camp.