Milo Turns a Corner
(03-11-2021, 08:22 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 07:30 PM)Filiolus Wrote: One doesn't need to assume anything to acknowledge that it's likely an occasion of sin.

I'm not often surprised at the position the majority takes on FE, and I usually agree. I'm a bit surprised on this one.

It's an occasion of sin if Milo's tempted to sin in the described occasion. You have no idea whether that's the case or not. Only Milo does (and God, of course). And you have no idea what steps, if any, he's taken to mitigate any occasion of sin that might exist for him in the circumstances he's in.

Which is why I said "likely" an occasion of sin; but it doesn't take much imagination or knowledge of human nature to say that.

Also, I'm a bit wary of the comparisons to a heterosexual relationship. This is not the same. A couple who converts and has to abstain because of a prior valid marriage, but who stays together because of children in the house, are living a natural life, with a natural family. A kid who's grown up with two dads, however, ought to learn sooner rather than later that two dads ain't a thing.

I know that's harsh. Sorry. Couldn't think of a softer way to say it. But it's especially important in today's environment.

Also, I acknowledge that I don't know the circumstances in Milo's case, and I don't know what advice he may have received from priests or others who are more knowledgable than I. But you're not going to convince me that it's generally wise for someone continue living with their former "partner" after leaving that kind of lifestyle.
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
[-] The following 3 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • austenbosten, Evangelium, Fortunabeargirl
And we know that Milo was tempted enough by his husband to marry him.
Milo, to my knowledge, is (or was) civilly “married” to his male roommate. Apart from this being a near occasion of grave sin, wouldn’t this living arrangement remain scandalous to the poor child living in that house (and also potentially scandalous to the friends and family unaware the “couple” has split)? Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but cohabitating, unmarried men and women commit many sins by living in that arrangement. Two obvious ones being: the grave imprudence of not avoiding the near occasion of sin, and scandalizing others by their poor example. Additionally, to my knowledge, they also sin against the Natural Law by living together without having first been married. I don’t know exactly how this principle applies to sexual aberrations, but perhaps someone here might be able to chime in.

In any event, it’s truly awesome we’re even having this discussion. Thank God for Milo’s conversion! May his witness, by God’s Grace, inspire others to convert their lives to Christ and His Church.
I think I basically said what Filolus said, with some additions. Sorry for the repetition!
Quote:A kid who's grown up with two dads, however, ought to learn sooner rather than later that two dads ain't a thing.

It's not a matter of "two Dads"; it's a matter of possibly taking away from a kid someone who loves him, and whom the kid loves.

Quote:Also, I acknowledge that I don't know the circumstances in Milo's case, and I don't know what advice he may have received from priests or others who are more knowledgable than I. But you're not going to convince me that it's generally wise for someone continue living with their former "partner" after leaving that kind of lifestyle.

I'm not saying it's "generally wise" for someone to live with a former partner; I'm just saying that we're talking about a specific person, that none of us know the details (and it's none of our business), that we should assume the best, and that when someone says he's leaving behind something sinful, we should be encouraging and happy and not second-guess, assume the worst, and dwell on negatives. Ex., on Twitter earlier today, I posted a link to a podcast of a discussion about the possibility of Dr. Jordan Peterson converting to Christianity. The response I got was:

Quote:Is he going to stop pushing his daughter's all meat-eating cures depression consultation scam? Is she going to self-support instead of feeding off her father's fan base while he has books and videos out telling other young ppl to stand on their own feet?

I mean, come on, man.

It'd be awful if Milo were to come across this forum and see the claims of "scandal" (a good and necessary but radically abused word I almost wish didn't exist) instead of "wow, that's great news" in response to his recent revelations.

It's all such a drag...
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 3 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • austenbosten, HailGilbert, jovan66102
I mean I get the concern but the man has devoted his life to Saint Joseph and has given up sodomy by his claim 250 days. He may not being doing things perfectly but he's trying and giving up sodomy is no easy feat, especially if you are still living with your former lover. So far if what Milo says is true, he's doing splendedly, especially since he's claimed to have been molested by a priest. Maybe God will separate them one day so Milo can assuage the consciences of those who fear possible scandal, but I think this thread could use a little less concern and a little more encouragement.
[-] The following 6 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Adventus, Catherine, HailGilbert, jbean, jovan66102, Melkite
(03-12-2021, 12:08 AM)austenbosten Wrote: I mean I get the concern but the man has devoted his life to Saint Joseph and has given up sodomy by his claim 250 days.  He may not being doing things perfectly but he's trying and giving up sodomy is no easy feat, especially if you are still living with your former lover.  So far if what Milo says is true, he's doing splendedly, especially since he's claimed to have been molested by a priest. Maybe God will separate them one day so Milo can assuage the consciences of those who fear possible scandal, but I think this thread could use a little less concern and a little more encouragement.

Very well said!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten, HailGilbert
You’re right that I focus on the negative too much. Sorry. Prayers for Milo’s perserverence. 
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
[-] The following 2 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • austenbosten, VoxClamantis
I hope he would be gratified that this many people are concerned about his soul.
[-] The following 4 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • austenbosten, Bonaventure, Melkite, SeekerofChrist
(03-12-2021, 10:30 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: I hope he would be gratified that this many people are concerned about his soul.
Yes but sometimes it can come off like an English perfectionist mother who can never just say "Well Done!" or "I'm proud of you." But always has to bring up where they are lacking or not living up to expectations.

It's nearly impossible to feel grateful if you feel like no matter whatever you do, someone is going to critique you even if they are doing so out of genuine concern.