Confused about fire of Purgatory
I realize that the fire aspect of Purgatory is not defined. But I had a question about the revelations to the Saints about the fire of Purgatory. 

Various Saints say that the lower regions of Purgatory have the same fire as hell, which makes sense because Purgatory and Limbo are technically in hell, though not in the hell of the damned. 

According to the biography of the mystic St Catherine of Genoa, - the fire that cleanses the souls is like the love of God, which burns away imperfections until they can unite to Him. 

So I'm confused about this... these seem to be two different interpretations of the fire? Although - perhaps the literal fire is the same fire as hell, but it is not present in all of Purgatory, only the lower level.. so the fire that is God's love refers to a spiritual effect of the purification rather than the literal fire? Or - maybe the literal fire is present when there is more incompatibility between the love of God and the soul??

I dont know if that makes sense! Maybe something in my understanding is wrong, so I wanted to ask. Does anyone have any ideas?
[-] The following 1 user Likes adoro.te.devote's post:
  • XavierSem
(03-15-2021, 10:53 PM)adoro.te.devote Wrote: Various Saints say that the lower regions of Purgatory have the same fire as hell, which makes sense because Purgatory and Limbo are technically in hell, though not in the hell of the damned. 

Purgatory is not in Hell.

Limbo is.

The "fires of Purgatory" are only analogous to those of Hell, but are essentially different, since unlike those of Hell, they are not [edited to remove this error] purifying.
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • austenbosten, IudicaMe, newenglandsun, Pandora
Purgatory is a place of the justice of God. Those with more to atone for have more suffering while those with less have less. One of the sufferings which is the greatest is the sense of the absence of God. The soul longs to be in the presence of God, which is found in the beatific vision in Heaven. This absence is like a consuming fire which is only realized when the soul enters Heaven.
[-] The following 1 user Likes benedicite's post:
  • XavierSem
(03-16-2021, 12:40 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 10:53 PM)adoro.te.devote Wrote: Various Saints say that the lower regions of Purgatory have the same fire as hell, which makes sense because Purgatory and Limbo are technically in hell, though not in the hell of the damned. 

Limbo is.

The "fires of Purgatory" are only analogous to those of Hell, but are essentially different, since unlike those of Hell, they are not purifying.

Regarding the first point, Catholic Encyclopedia seems to suggest that Purgatory is part of hell? (But not the hell of the damned, which is typically how we use that word)

"[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Hell (infernus) in theological usage is a place of punishment after death. Theologians distinguish four meanings of the term hell:[/color]
  • hell in the strict sense, or the place of punishment for the damned, be they demons or men;

• the limbo of infants (limbus parvulorum), where those who die in original sin alone, and without personal mortal sin, are confined and undergo some kind of punishment;

• the limbo of the Fathers (limbus patrum), in which the souls of the just who died before Christ awaited their admission to heaven; for in the meantime heaven was closed against them in punishment for the sin of Adam;

• purgatory, where the just, who die in venial sin or who still owe a debt of temporal punishment for sin, are cleansed by suffering before their admission to heaven.
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]The present article treats only of hell in the strict sense of the term.[/color]
[-] The following 1 user Likes adoro.te.devote's post:
  • benedicite

Limbo is.

The "fires of Purgatory" are only analogous to those of Hell, but are essentially different, since unlike those of Hell, they are not purifying.

The fires of Hell are purifying?
(03-16-2021, 10:08 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:

Limbo is.

The fires of Hell are purifying?
I think we’re witnessing the rare instance of a grammatical error and/or typo from MM.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • Pandora
In some visions of Purgatory the Poor Souls suffered through cold and listlessness as well.
I'm surprised, that the Father of the Gospels who would give you a drink of water if you asked
would set you on fire
(03-16-2021, 08:45 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote: I'm surprised, that the Father of the Gospels who would give you a drink of water if you asked
would set you on fire

Purgatory is not the antechamber of hell
it is the waiting room to heaven
(03-16-2021, 08:49 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 08:45 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote: I'm surprised, that the Father of the Gospels who would give you a drink of water if you asked
would set you on fire

Purgatory is not the antechamber of hell
it is the waiting room to heaven

Benign descriptions of purgatory are evil.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • XavierSem