GUNZ
(04-01-2021, 06:08 PM)SeeTheLight Wrote: I love the M1 Garand I had a chance to shoot a buddies back many years ago when I was just a teenager and remember it being a joy to shoot.

The M1 was what got me into milsurp rifles, and to a larger extent, firearms more broadly.

It was about a decade ago I was reading news on the internet, whereupon I happened on some ad with the below photo stating "Why does Obama want to take this gun away from you?" 

[Image: Garand1.jpg]

While I had been around firearms my entire life, and even owned a few, I didn't know anything about "crusty old guns" but this ad, for some reason, piqued my interest. I learned that it was an M1 Garand, and I wanted to try one.  I reached out to an ole buddy of mine, whom I knew to be quite knowledgable with what he termed "holy irons" and asked if he had one.  Sure enough, he did, and he offered to meet me at the range the following week to try it out.  Now, I had shot .30-06 rifles before, and wasn't necessarily a huge fan of them, but upon taking that first shot from the M1... I was hooked!  Later picked one up through the CMP, and eventually began discovering a lot of other "milsurp" rifles, including the beloved M14--well, clones at least; the real-deal M14's are a bit few and far between for me to get my hands on.
(04-02-2021, 10:29 AM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 06:08 PM)SeeTheLight Wrote: I love the M1 Garand I had a chance to shoot a buddies back many years ago when I was just a teenager and remember it being a joy to shoot.

The M1 was what got me into milsurp rifles, and to a larger extent, firearms more broadly.

It was about a decade ago I was reading news on the internet, whereupon I happened on some ad with the below photo stating "Why does Obama want to take this gun away from you?" 

[Image: Garand1.jpg]

While I had been around firearms my entire life, and even owned a few, I didn't know anything about "crusty old guns" but this ad, for some reason, piqued my interest. I learned that it was an M1 Garand, and I wanted to try one.  I reached out to an ole buddy of mine, whom I knew to be quite knowledgable with what he termed "holy irons" and asked if he had one.  Sure enough, he did, and he offered to meet me at the range the following week to try it out.  Now, I had shot .30-06 rifles before, and wasn't necessarily a huge fan of them, but upon taking that first shot from the M1... I was hooked!  Later picked one up through the CMP, and eventually began discovering a lot of other "milsurp" rifles, including the beloved M14--well, clones at least; the real-deal M14's are a bit few and far between for me to get my hands on.

Now you're really making me want to try them out. I have a .30-06 hunting rifle that is very accurate but kicks too much - I'd like to try the caliber in another gun.
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
(04-02-2021, 10:29 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: Now, I had shot .30-06 rifles before, and wasn't necessarily a huge fan of them, but upon taking that first shot from the M1... I was hooked!  Later picked one up through the CMP, and eventually began discovering a lot of other "milsurp" rifles, including the beloved M14--well, clones at least; the real-deal M14's are a bit few and far between for me to get my hands on.

What do you like better the M1 or M1A?

I've heard that people prefer the M1A over the M1, but the M1 just looks so much better.
(04-03-2021, 01:41 AM)austenbosten Wrote: What do you like better the M1 or M1A?

Hands down, the M14. BTW, "M1A" is a trademark of Springfield Armory, Inc. (not to be confused with the government armory), and there are other manufacturers who make M14 clones (but are not called M1A's). 

The M14 is lighter, can take box mags in 5-, 10-, 20-, 25- and 30-rd configurations (20-rd being standard), and is much more customizable than the M1.  Also, one can still get his hands on surplus 7.62 NATO, whereas USGI M2 ball is becoming a bit difficult to find--although several companies have been stepping up and making Garand-safe .30-06 as of late.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • austenbosten, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
You young guns may appreciate this - driving into Beaverton today see a Subaru with two letters blackened.

Kind of indicative of the mood
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
If I had guns it would probably consist of this list.

Ruger automatic pistol .22
Beretta Neos .22
Ruger Single 6 convertible .22
Cricket .22
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Model 60 .22
Springfield bolt .22 1950's
Rossi 62 stainless .22
Henry Farm Edition .22
Henry .22
Marlin Model 88 .22
H&R youth .243
Taurus 738 .380
Taurus 24/7 9mm
Taurus Pt111 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
S&W 459 9mm
Glock 19
Keltec PF9
Keltec Sub 2000 9mm
Kahr CW9
Kahr CW45
Springfield XD 45
Dan Wesson 1911
Ruger SP101
Ruger GP100
Ruger Redhawk 44mag
S&W 642 38+P
2) ASM Peacemaker Clones 44-40
Rossi 92 .357 mag
Rossi 92 .44 mag
Husqvarna 30.06
Savage .270
Marlin 336 32 win special
Marlin 336 35 rem
SKS
Marlin X7VH 22-250
Winchester Ranger 12 ga
Winchester Ranger 20 ga
Browning Sweet 16
White Powder Wonder 12 ga

I think that would probably complete my list, may think of something else later.

And I would have all the reloading stuff for every caliber except the .22.

I will wait till the panic is over and prices come down before I spend my stimulus money to revitalize the economy buying them.
Getting into this nice thread quite late, but here's my $0.02 worth:

I have been around guns all my life, beginning with the rifle team in ROTC during High School. I own a few Rifles, a couple of Shot Guns and a couple of pistols, which I may add to soon. None of my rifles, save the .22 carbine, is semi-auto. Being an X-Medic and ANC member, my choices have been mostly defensive and hunting focused and I have no "assault Rifles" (whatever that is, I've never heard a Democrat give a sound definition for that) and have always been a firm believer, that if you can hit your target once, that should be enough, if your a good shot. I suppose that qualifying "Expert" at Ft. Benning, with an M-16, should help qualify my stance.

I did have fun at the Whittington Center, in Northern New Mexico, shooting my Springfield model 1903 at their 1000 yard range. Ya, it was like 'lobbing' them in, but I was quite near my mark using only iron sights.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 3 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Bonaventure, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, J Michael
(04-07-2021, 11:25 AM)Zedta Wrote: I did have fun at the Whittington Center, in Northern New Mexico, shooting my Springfield model 1903 at their 1000 yard range. Ya, it was like 'lobbing' them in, but I was quite near my mark using only iron sights.

Earlier I had stated that I hadn't purchased any firearms in the past year.  But then your post above reminded me that I did buy a 1903 last summer... completely forgot about it.  It's taken apart at the moment as I'm in the process of refinishing the stock, but it's an early Remington from 1941. 

[Image: Rem1903.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • austenbosten, Zedta
I sportized my Springfield to make it lighter. I took off the barrel covers and shortened the base stock. Mine is older than yours, WWI era issue. This rifle was the sniper rifle of choice into the Viet Nam era.

My father-in-law, who was stationed at the Kaneohe Bay Naval Air Station when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, had an interesting tale to tell about this particular rifle. He said as the planes were bombing, the Marines started dumping crates of them on the deck in the hangers for the Navy guys to arm themselves with. Many a good rifle was thrown down, because the swabbies didn't know about the on/off switch used on this weapon. They thought they were broken.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
(04-07-2021, 12:43 PM)Zedta Wrote: I sportized my Springfield to make it lighter.

Blasphemy!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • austenbosten