Lobbing the grenade
(04-16-2021, 01:26 PM)AlanK82 Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 01:14 PM)J Michael Wrote: Cuz, it's the 1960's all over again. And you were there.

Mocking people should be on your "do not do" list.
Maybe you're right.  I should just hit the "ignore" button--again.
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 3 users Like J Michael's post:
  • jovan66102, Pandora, Zedta
Agreed, but for introverts like me who have few friends and even fewer Catholic friends, it's nice to have people to talk to. And being a mom of (soon to be two) little ones makes it hard to talk to a good priest. 

Also, maybe it's just this area, but our Trad priests are very busy and very hard to pin down.
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SacraCor714's post:
  • Zedta
(04-16-2021, 01:25 PM)Evangelium Wrote: Is it a sin to lob a grenade?

Consult the book of armaments!
[-] The following 4 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • J Michael, Pandora, Sword of St. Michael, Zedta
By far on the consulting a priest, this forum is a discussion platform, not a spiritual guide.

Will second what sacracor mentioned, getting to talk with a priest is extremely difficult right now. Family eats up a good amount of time, and thanks to covid, our parish has grown substantially. Not impossible and definitely will be getting a scheduled time to meet with them, but its not nearly as easy as picking peoples brains here first, getting the idea condensed down and seeing the writings people have (quotes, articles etc), then going to the priest later after having read more on stuff (such as my thread topic of mortal sin/ignorance).

Thus, study and discuss first then see the priest is my mentality.
I’m just going to say it, I tend to hear the same excuses in various fora:

“The priest isn’t trad enough, it’s not real direction”
“I’m really busy”
“The advice just didn’t resonate with me”
“My life is hard”
“THE RONA!”

While it may be nice to hear other’s thoughts, our spiritual development shouldn’t be done by consensus of people on the internet, nor do we really even have any business even considering that as a valid route, accessory or otherwise.

Confronting sin is hard.  Owning up to our shortcomings is hard.  Reforming ourselves is hard.

Every person we encounter has a hard life, and we can’t judge his trials.  That being said, we all have hard lives and struggles.  Further, we each need to take personal responsibility and approach our priest or spiritual director with willingness, humility, and candor.  We need to do our best in at least this, because our life quite literally depends on it.

I myself don’t “like” kneeling down in the confessional and telling the priest my sins in kind and number.  It’s not what I would define as a fun time, but that’s what we’re called to do.   The personal embarrassment and shame I rightfully feel is nothing compared to receiving absolution and guidance, and starting again to aim for perfection.

In summation, talk to a priest. Get your spiritual direction from a priest. Any priest worth his salt will do all he can to help a troubled soul, despite being outrageously busy or inconvenienced.  Even the ones whom we think might not be so disposed to help us have a way of finding a moment, even more, to do so.
[-] The following 5 users Like Pandora's post:
  • CatholicMamato5, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, J Michael, PilgrimMichelangelo, Zedta
(04-16-2021, 03:00 PM)Pandora Wrote: I’m just going to say it, I tend to hear the same excuses in various fora:

“The priest isn’t trad enough, it’s not real direction”
“I’m really busy”
“The advice just didn’t resonate with me”
“My life is hard”
“THE RONA!”

While it may be nice to hear other’s thoughts, our spiritual development shouldn’t be done by consensus of people on the internet, nor do we really even have any business even considering that as a valid route, accessory or otherwise.

Confronting sin is hard.  Owning up to our shortcomings is hard.  Reforming ourselves is hard.

Every person we encounter has a hard life, and we can’t judge his trials.  That being said, we all have hard lives and struggles.  Further, we each need to take personal responsibility and approach our priest or spiritual director with willingness, humility, and candor.  We need to do our best in at least this, because our life quite literally depends on it.

I myself don’t “like” kneeling down in the confessional and telling the priest my sins in kind and number.  It’s not what I would define as a fun time, but that’s what we’re called to do.   The personal embarrassment and shame I rightfully feel is nothing compared to receiving absolution and guidance, and starting again to aim for perfection.

In summation, talk to a priest. Get your spiritual direction from a priest. Any priest worth his salt will do all he can to help a troubled soul, despite being outrageously busy or inconvenienced.  Even the ones whom we think might not be so disposed to help us have a way of finding a moment, even more, to do so.
Shame we can't "like" more than once!!!  This -^- deserves multiple likes!

I've been going through a particularly difficult time the last few months, and my priest has literally been a God-send.  He is extremely busy with a large parish and he makes time for me, not just in confession, but in almost weekly appointments to talk, to listen, to guide.  Your last paragraph is pure gold.
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

The fact that I "like" a post is not necessarily an endorsement or approval of its content.
[-] The following 4 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Anon777, Pandora, PilgrimMichelangelo, Zedta
(04-16-2021, 03:00 PM)Pandora Wrote: “The priest isn’t trad enough, it’s not real direction”

OTOH, I've been in the situation where I finish confessing my sins, and then Father Jesuit immediately starts telling me about how mortal sin is almost impossible to commit (apparently because the bar for consent and knowledge is so high)... But I completely agree with your comments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Zedta
(04-16-2021, 03:19 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: OTOH, I've been in the situation where I finish confessing my sins, and then Father Jesuit immediately starts telling me about how mortal sin is almost impossible to commit (apparently because the bar for consent and knowledge is so high)...  But I completely agree with your comments.
That happens. Or, that the confessor insists on playing the psychologist. But it sometimes happens that a sappy hippie priest tells you something you need to hear.
[-] The following 4 users Like Marmot's post:
  • Anon777, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, J Michael, Zedta
(04-16-2021, 11:43 AM)Pandora Wrote: I just posted a similar response in a thread, but I feel like this needs to be said and heard.

Lately especially, there have been exponentially more questions directed to posters here that should have been directed to people’s priests or spiritual directors.  Everyone here wants to help, but we are not experts and our person opinions and personal understandings are just that.  We additionally do not know the particulars of people’s life or situation.  Circumstances that responding posters, in all charity, might see as very evil or scandalous might have extenuating details that are better discussed with a priest who will use his prudence.

Don’t be afraid to speak with your priest.  If you don’t “get along” with him and feel like you’re not getting adequate spiritual direction, talk to another priest.  If you regularly find it difficult or inconvenient to schedule time to speak with him, talk to another priest.  You can even talk to *gasp* a NO priest.

Go to confession.  If you don’t feel you’re getting anything out of it, still go.  If you don’t like what the priest tells you, still listen.  If you can’t see yourself reforming and doing what priest says, still be obedient and try.

My intent is not to turn this into a “some priests are bad confessors and directors, so we shouldn’t do what they say for reason x.”  This should be a something all of us can and should get behind and fully support.

Again, a question about “is wearing a pink camo mantilla tacky?” is something we’re equipped to answer. (And yes, it definitely is.)

Specific questions like “do I suffer from scrupulosity?” or “is my mentally ill cousin who beat the family dog morally culpable?” are things about which we can at best offer our personal thoughts and possibly pass along texts to read.
I try to ask my priest, when I get a chance. But I am only able to go once a week just before confession. I depend on my dad usually to take me to confession/ talking to my priest, but I rely on people online because, I just need someone to talk to. I have been stuck at home for a few years now, and I am... trying to get on my feet. I am 24, but I may as well be 80. I never really kept up with the times, and such. I never learned to drive, and depend on people bringing me places. Yet, my folks are busy busy busy, and can't drive me to Church when I want it. I would like to go on a retreat, but I need someone to take me there. This, site is the only real human contact I have with others. I have no friends in the faith, and am bad at making friends. I am alone in my faith, and have no one to guide me really other than father...when I get a chance to talk to Him. The world stopped making sense a long time ago. It simply moved fast and I am slow. I am not good with computers. I am not good with math. The world has left me behind in the dust. I did not really do good in school. I have no real options in my life. I am in program for those with special needs, but I hardy know anyone there. I used to be close with my brother. Now he has outshone me and we hardly talk anymore. Though I am surrounded by people, I have never felt more alone. I feel like I am from Pluto. This IS my only connection with other like minded people. I feel like one of my toys that I have not touched in years. Forgotten about, and out of date. I have never felt more alone...
(04-16-2021, 03:49 PM)Marmot Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 03:19 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: OTOH, I've been in the situation where I finish confessing my sins, and then Father Jesuit immediately starts telling me about how mortal sin is almost impossible to commit (apparently because the bar for consent and knowledge is so high)...  But I completely agree with your comments.
That happens. Or, that the confessor insists on playing the psychologist. But it sometimes happens that a sappy hippie priest tells you something you need to hear.

Anything is possible.  Dare we hope! 

But that didn't happen.  Instead, it didn't really help.  He proceeded to celebrate a three-homily Mass with as Father MC with the jawbone mic, he said "for you and for all", and when it came time for the major elevations, he did this weird thing where (facing versus populum) he stepped back a foot or two from the altar...
[-] The following 2 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Pandora, Zedta