Why no modern English trad Bible translation?
Quote:10 Reasons Why I Left the Catholic Church

Pretty convinced this is a drive by troll pushing washed up Protestant apologetics that have been dealt with decades ago. 

This exact same string of words was copied and pasted two other places online:

Reddit and Christian Chat

I suggest banning him and removing the post and removing my post with the follow up links.
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
[-] The following 3 users Like Justin Tertius's post:
  • Evangelium, jovan66102, LionHippo
Follow up to the above:

The poster is certainly a troll. The Christian Chat link shows that he posted this wall of text on a decade old thread two months ago and hasn't followed up with any engagement. He is just a protestant troll and should be ignored.
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
[-] The following 3 users Like Justin Tertius's post:
  • Evangelium, jovan66102, SeeTheLight
(04-18-2017, 11:38 AM)GangGreen Wrote: DR can be quite difficult for many people to read. I wouldn't mind something that's a little bit easier to read, but doesn't destroy the meanings like the more modern versions. Certainly a difficult endeavor, but I'm sure some people could pull it off.

I'm new to the trad Catholic world. A few months ago, I decided to read the Bible straight through and I got the DR b/c it's the one favored. I'm an attorney who graduated second in his law school class. In other words, I'm more than comfortable reading difficult stuff. That said, I found DR too difficult and dropped it in favor of the RSV. DR might be "the best" but I far, far prefer the RSV for study. If I have issues or questions about a verse, I compare it with the many different translations that I have.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bryan's post:
  • LionHippo
How is the DR difficult?
(05-05-2021, 05:03 PM)Marmot Wrote: How is the DR difficult?

I don't find it readable. There are dialogue exchanges where it isn't clear who's talking. Lots of pronouns when use of a proper noun would clear up who's speaking. 

If it works for you, it works for you. I'm not here to convince you otherwise, just telling you my experience.
(05-05-2021, 05:59 PM)Bryan Wrote: I don't find it readable. There are dialogue exchanges where it isn't clear who's talking. Lots of pronouns when use of a proper noun would clear up who's speaking. 
I see. I do recall not understanding at times who says what. I didn't understand this might be better in other translations.

I guess the ambiguities were also in the Vulgate. Maybe if you replace a pronoun with a proper noun, there's a risk you insert the wrong proper noun.
I prefer the RSV-2CE, Ignatius Study Bible series, for serious reading and study. I think the D-R is fine for devotional reading, but in many places it is clunky. There is no reason why people's names and geographical locations can't be changed into a modern version, e.g. "Noah" instead of "Noe" or "Joshua" instead of "Josue." Nothing is lost by making those names into something more readable.

The D-R's language lends itself rather well to the Psalms, but getting through St. Paul's epistles are sometimes like the reading equivalent of wading through knee-high mud.

Every translation has its strengths and weaknesses. I think some Trads feel compelled to attach themselves to the D-R out of strict association of it whether they find reading it fruitful or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LionHippo's post:
  • SeeTheLight
It's rather that I only ever read the DR, so "Noe" etc. is normal to me.
I have the Douay-Rheims, the Knox and the RSV Second Catholic Edition.  I read the RSV every day for my lectio divina and I use it for reference.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clare Brigid's post:
  • SeeTheLight
(05-06-2021, 08:01 AM)Marmot Wrote: It's rather that I only ever read the DR, so "Noe" etc. is normal to me.

They're not only 'normal' to me, it's how I think of them and how I refer to them when writing. It always grates on me to see 'Elijah' instead of Elias, or 'Elisha' instead of Eliseus'. And I see those two a lot since they're both considered Patrons of the Carmelite Order.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe