Does Anyone Have and ESV-CE?
Has anyone on the forum gotten one of the ESV-CEs yet? 

From what I have seen  and heard it seems like it is a slightly revised republication of the ESV (with the complete canon of the Scriptures of course.)

So, does anyone here have one yet? Opinions?
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
Hi...
First post here (although lurker for quite a time).
Yes, you are essentially correct about the ESV-CE.
It was originally published by Crossway Publishers, a Protestant publishing concern.
Picked up by the Indian Bishops council and approved -- even for Liturgical use! -- over there.
We'll see how popular it gets in the U.S.
Currently published for U.S. Market by the Augustine Institute

More info: 
https://www.ncregister.com/interview/aug...olic-bible
https://catholic.market/bibles/

It is now my standard go-to Bible for personal study.

Current editions (to my knowledge) include no commentary/study notes, although according to the above article a study edition is in the works.

It is a complete Catholic edition with the full Canon of Scripture with OT books in their proper place (instead of a separate section between the Testaments or at the end of the New Testament).

I can provide this bit of background (as I am a Convert from Evangelical Prot.):
  1. For many years there was a group of Evang. Prot. who were attached to the RSV but who never liked the NRSV or typical popular Evang. Prot. versions (NASB, NIV, KJV, NKJV, NLT and multitudes of others). 
  2. Some years ago (with Crossway sponsorship) the ESV was published - was widely accepted especially in Reformed (Calvinist) and other groups.
  3. ESV-CE is an adaptation of this and has full Church approval in India.
  4. I believe Anglicans coming into the Church have an approved Lectionary in the ESV (and Crossway published an edition with the Deuterocanonicals but it is now out-of-print).
  5. May be a good contender for a truly Ecumenical version in the opinion of some - time will tell.

Hope some of this helps!
I don't have any experience with the ESV-CE, but I used the ESV as my main Bible when I was a Protestant, and I liked it a lot. I was of a more Reformed bend, and it's true that the ESV, at least a decade ago, was quickly becoming the version of choice for Reformed folks. Even the uber-liberal Evangelical Lutheran Church in America approved it for liturgical use.
In time and in eternity, I place my trust in thee, O Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for me.
This page helped me with determining ESV-CE is worth a consideration

http://stutler.cc/russ/esvce.html
(07-22-2021, 01:19 PM)austenbosten Wrote: This page helped me with determining ESV-CE is worth a consideration

http://stutler.cc/russ/esvce.html

I am going to presume that this means that Catholics can just read from the English Standard now. I don't have a Catholic version, but I figure that it is fine.
"Especially will I do this if the Lord make known to me that you come together man by man in common through grace, individually, in one faith, and in Jesus Christ... so that you obey the bishop and the presbytery with an undivided mind, breaking one and the same bread, which is the medicine of immortality, and the antidote to prevent us from dying, but which causes that we should live for ever in Jesus Christ." St. Ignatius of Antioch

"But Polycarp... waving his hand towards them, while with groans he look up to heaven, said, 'Away with the Atheists.'" Martyrdom of Polycarp
(07-22-2021, 02:23 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: I am going to presume that this means that Catholics can just read from the English Standard now. I don't have a Catholic version, but I figure that it is fine.

Why it would it mean that? It's missing books, and there may be different translations.

The article you linked also indicates some problems with it, even if the ESV-CE has been approved by the Church. I'd avoid any Bible that greets our Lady as 'highly favoured' instead of 'full of grace'. 1 Timothy 3, 1 is also problematic: there's no such office in the Church as 'overseer'; there is one of bishop. 3, 15 is likewise wrong, calling the Church 'a pillar and buttress of the truth' instead of 'the', which denies that Jesus founded a Church, and the Bible came later.
(07-22-2021, 09:46 PM)Paul Wrote: Why it would it mean that? It's missing books, and there may be different translations.

Not to be cheeky, but so what? If I have a Douay-Rheims New Testament and Psalms, is that a bad Bible because it is missing some of the books? If one is fine, what is the big deal with the other, provided I accept the canonicity of all the books of Scripture and have translations of those books?

Quote:The article you linked also indicates some problems with it, even if the ESV-CE has been approved by the Church. I'd avoid any Bible that greets our Lady as 'highly favoured' instead of 'full of grace'. 1 Timothy 3, 1 is also problematic: there's no such office in the Church as 'overseer'; there is one of bishop. 3, 15 is likewise wrong, calling the Church 'a pillar and buttress of the truth' instead of 'the', which denies that Jesus founded a Church, and the Bible came later.

So, these three verses and the whole thing is evil?

First, I understand why people cringe at the highly favoured translation, but this can't be a deal breaker. Plenty of approved Catholic translations have the imprimatur and possess this translation. So, if I have to avoid a biblical translation which possesses an imprimatur because of this one verse, why should I worry about an imprimatur at all?

Second, episkopos is Greek, and translated literally it means over seer. I also think it would be better to translate this term as bishop, and presbyteros as priest, but that is because they are directly taken into our language from Greek (Bishop from biscop, from episcopus, from episkopos, and priest from prester (or pretre in French) and presbyterus in Latin and presbyteros in the Greek) so it would make more sense to just render it literally. 

Third, there isn't an article in the Greek. Literally it reads, "Church of the living God, pillar and ground of the truth." An article is typically supplied in translation. Most translators have opted for "the". Also, St. Irenaeus of Lyons says this 

Quote:We have learned from none others the plan of our salvation, than from those through whom the Gospel has come down to us, which they did at one time proclaim in public, and, at a later period, by the will of God, handed down to us in the Scriptures, to be the ground and pillar of our faith.

St. Irenaeus seems to think that there can be multiple pillars and grounds for out faith. Is he wrong? Also, St. Irenaeus is completely against sola scriptura.

All this to say, I am failing to see the reasoning here aside from a knee-jerk reaction (this translation originated from Protestants, therefore it must be full of evil.)

(07-22-2021, 10:23 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: First, I understand why people cringe at the highly favoured translation, but this can't be a deal breaker.

The Greek doesn't say "highly favored" or "full of grace". It uses a word which would be most directly translated as something more like "You who have always been full of grace," or "You who have always possessed the fullness of grace."

"Highly favored", by contrast, is so bland that it should offend you. It's not an accident. It's a protestant slight directed at the Blessed Virgin.

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a116.htm
(07-22-2021, 10:41 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:23 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: First, I understand why people cringe at the highly favoured translation, but this can't be a deal breaker.

The Greek doesn't say "highly favored" or "full of grace".  It uses a word which would be most directly translated as something more like "You who have always been full of grace," or "You who have always possessed the fullness of grace."

"Highly favored", by contrast, is so bland that it should offend you.  It's not an accident.  It's a protestant slight directed at the Blessed Virgin.

Therefore the all Bibles which possess this translation (even approved Catholic translations) are offensive to God and must be avoided?

I really am failing to see the logic here, it doesn't make sense.

(07-22-2021, 10:58 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:41 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:

The Greek doesn't say "highly favored" or "full of grace".  It uses a word which would be most directly translated as something more like "You who have always been full of grace," or "You who have always possessed the fullness of grace."

"Highly favored", by contrast, is so bland that it should offend you.  It's not an accident.  It's a protestant slight directed at the Blessed Virgin.

Therefore the all Bibles which possess this translation (even approved Catholic translations) are offensive to God and must be avoided?

I really am failing to see the logic here, it doesn't make sense.

What is an "approved Catholic translation"?