Looking for a book outlining vaccination ethics from a Catholic perspective?
I believe I found such a book a while ago. I thought I had saved it to my favourites, but it appears I haven't. Can anyone help?

I think it may have been on a Kolbe bookstore, however the ones Google generates appear to be different. This is very frustrating.
You mean this one, found here?
[Image: Vaccination-A_Catholic_Perspective_Pam_A...C900&ssl=1]
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 2 users Like dahveed's post:
  • Matthew7-7, Zedta
Strangely enough, Amazon doesn't carry that.  Can't imagine why (he typed, as his eyes rolled).
"I'm an old man now and have had a great many problems.  Most of them never happened."~ Mark Twain

"Compassion and justice in one soul are as a man adoring God and idols in one house." -St. Isaac of Syria

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)
[-] The following 3 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Matthew7-7, Ruth Catherine, Zedta
Not a book, but you might want to check the National Catholic Bioethics Center.

https://www.ncbcenter.org/
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 4 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • J Michael, Matthew7-7, Ruth Catherine, Zedta
(09-05-2021, 04:28 PM)dahveed Wrote: You mean this one, found here?
[Image: Vaccination-A_Catholic_Perspective_Pam_A...C900&ssl=1]

(09-05-2021, 05:11 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Not a book, but you might want to check the National Catholic Bioethics Center.

https://www.ncbcenter.org/

Thank you, gentlemen! That indeed was the book I am looking for. :)
I'm not a vaccine advocate by any stretch of the imagination, but I would highly advise you to stay away from Miss Acker as a source of either what accords with Catholic bioethics, or for her scientific accuracy.

Firstly, she is not a theologian, bioethicist, nor does she have any formal training in ethics or moral theology. It is impossible, therefore, for someone without this kind of expertise to legitimately claim that they can give a "Catholic perspective" on a topic which they have no expert perspective that is "Catholic" in any way, except professing to be Catholic. That, however, does not entitle one to publish works claiming one speaks authoritatively from a "Catholic" perspective,

Secondly, her scientific credibility has been pretty well kaput. (See here). 

She does have Masters degree in Biology (from Catholic University of America), which might suggest competence in such a subject. At various times Ackers has been claimed to be a "vaccine researcher" and "fetal cell expert".

However, if one gets obvious facts wrong in one's claimed area of expertise, it suggests the person is not trustworthy. Yet in an interview with John-Henry Westin for LifeSite (as detailed in the link) she was asked to explain HEK-293 (a fetal cell line) and what it was. She claimed that the 293 referred to the "number of experiments" used to produce this line of cells (It doesn't), and also claimed that in order to have done this many experience "hundreds" of abortions would have been needed (they wouldn't). 

We might be able to give a pass on the 293 experiments, because it refers to various growth, selection and purification steps to get a consistent line of cells, but no one with any real scientific competence would call such things "experiments". "Procedures" or "cycles" perhaps, but not "experiments". That is normal lay language for all scientific procedures. I always have to correct my chemistry students when I do a demonstration, and they refer to it as an "experiment". So, here, it's possible, though somewhat unreasonable, to give her a pass. Perhaps he was just trying to speak to "the people".

The "hundreds of abortion" comment cannot be excused, though. That's simply impossible, and even a high school-level biology education would demonstrate that. No "expert" would ever claim that, and if Akers is even remotely educated in fetal cells, she would know that HEK-293 is derived from a single fetus' kidneys, not multiple abortions.

That is not to downplay the evil of abortion, or of continued use of this fetal cell line, but fighting against evil is not done by lying to people or deceiving them through false arguments. That kind of stuff, though, is typical of the Kolbe Center (who helped Akers produced the book) who has a liberal evil-means-to-a-good-end-is-fine approach to much of what they produce.
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, newenglandsun, Ruth Catherine, Zedta
Not questioning anything you wrote, but have you read the book?
"I'm an old man now and have had a great many problems.  Most of them never happened."~ Mark Twain

"Compassion and justice in one soul are as a man adoring God and idols in one house." -St. Isaac of Syria

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • Matthew7-7
(09-05-2021, 08:26 PM)J Michael Wrote: Not questioning anything you wrote, but have you read the book?

I haven't and won't unless I am given a copy.

Why would I buy a copy of something that, even if everything written is correct, comes from a source that cannot be trusted as to what is true and false. That an "expert" is most definitely not an expert in ethics, theology or any field in which they could claim a "Catholic" perspective, and has so badly erred on a simple point in their claimed area of expertise, easily proven wrong, is a massive problem of trust towards anything in the book, even if it is correct.

That's the problem with self-styled "experts". They might be 90% correct about everything. It's the 10% that's a problem, and since conclusions will be drawn from that 10%, it becomes impossible to trust anything.

Why would I purchase and support, or even read something, where the source is discredited.
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, newenglandsun, Ruth Catherine
I'm one of those who believes that, for ex., the results of Nazi experiments, the information the Japanese got from the horrors they inflicted on POWs in Unit 731, etc., shouldn't be thrown out because the experiments were evil.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • jovan66102, Zedta
(09-06-2021, 12:17 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: I'm one of those who believes that, for ex., the results of Nazi experiments, the information the Japanese got from the horrors they inflicted on POWs in Unit 731, etc., shouldn't be thrown out because the experiments were evil.
It seems to me that any reasonable person would agree with this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marmot's post:
  • Zedta