I do not get logic
https://www.fisheaters.com/srpdf/AnEleme...fLogic.pdf

I do not understand anything this book teaches? Is that a problem? I am told I need to be prudent (virtue) but I do not get logic.
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly
(10-09-2021, 06:41 PM)Anon777 Wrote: https://www.fisheaters.com/srpdf/AnEleme...fLogic.pdf

I do not understand anything this book teaches? Is that a problem? I am told I need to be prudent (virtue) but I do not get logic.
Nor am I open to learning really from people because I no longer really trust people to teach me the truth in person. They could be telling the Truth...but I am not docile because I trust few if any except here. I am supposed to be prudent, but much of what goes on around me is too abstract.

Like this whodunnit on prudence

: I did not notice any changes. I was oblivious to all the changes.Β 

Is this sinful inprudence?

😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐

A German...possibly
I remember one time going to Cabela's with my dad and brother and a guy was selling NRA memberships and we were talking and I suddenly had the idea to declare let us have a thumb war

The guy selling the memberships was missing aΒ thumb

THAT is just how I see the world

😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐

A German...possibly
What do I do?

A German...possibly
(10-09-2021, 07:40 PM)Anon777 Wrote: What do I do?
Stop studying logic and start reading existentialist philosophy and more continental philosophical schools. Who said you needed to learn logic?
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
(10-09-2021, 08:05 PM)newenglandsun Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 07:40 PM)Anon777 Wrote: What do I do?
Stop studying logic and start reading existentialist philosophy and more continental philosophical schools. Who said you needed to learn logic?
I do not understand that either.

οΏ½πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

A German...possibly
(10-09-2021, 06:41 PM)Anon777 Wrote: https://www.fisheaters.com/srpdf/AnEleme...fLogic.pdf

Anon - In a classical education, the seven liberal arts are taught.Β  They are broken into 2 groups:Β the trivium and the quadrivium.Β  The trivium is comprised of grammar, rhetoric, and logic.Β  The quadrivium is made up of arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy.Β Β 

You are not alone in not understanding logic.Β  It has mostly been removed from our current education system.Β  The seven liberal arts are not really taught in the public school system or even in many private schools.Β  There has been a revitalization of classical education and there is a movement to reclaim these lost arts. It is gaining momentum but even those spearheading the movement recognize that much has been lost and there is much they do not know.Β 

I homeschool my children and we use the seven liberal arts to learn.Β  I myself, at 47 years old, say that I am reclaiming my education.Β  I take classes and workshops to help me learn how to use the liberal arts both in my own learning and in the education of my children.Β  While you can take individual classes in logic, rhetoric, and grammar,Β  I use the subjects that I am obligated to teach as a way to teach the liberal arts.Β  If that makes sense?Β  I don't teach the subjects of English, History, Science etc... as subjects.Β  I use those subjects to teach the more valuable sevenΒ 7 Liberal Arts that I believe are fundamental to the education of all human beings.Β  The seven Liberal Arts are meant to bring us close to God (the Logos).Β  Grammar as an Art is not the same as grammar in usage - like memorizing parts of speech.Β Β 

I know I didn't really answer your question as to what Logic is and how to understand it.Β Β Hopefully I didn't confuse you more.Β  But the point I really want to make is that Logic is an Art.Β  One could argue it is a lost art so do not be discouraged if you do not understand it.Β  I took a year long class on Rhetoric last year and I am not sure I completely understand it!Β  Learning theΒ Arts require practice and guidance (mentor).Β  One does not just become a master of an Art in a day.

All of these Arts are meant to bring us closer to God.Β  We are not all called to be Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine.Β  Some of the greatest saints were ignorant and simple.Β  God will meet you where you are.Β  It is ok if you do not understand logic.Β  It is ok if you don't understand philosophy.Β  You have a very devoted heart and desire to do God's will.Β  Just keep praying and recognize that we all learn at our pace and that God understands your strengths and limitations.Β  Keep asking questions and try not to be frustrated with what you don't understand.

I get a lot out of learning virtues with my kids.Β  Maybe start here and then work your way to the logic book:Β Β 

https://www.fisheaters.com/nonnasbooks.html

God bless you Anon!!
[-] The following 3 users Like CatholicMamato5's post:
  β€’ Ambrosiano, HailGilbert, NoliTardare
The end of the Imitation of Christ:
"Human reason is weak and can be deceived. True faith, however, cannot be deceived. All reason and natural science ought to come after faith, not go before it, nor oppose it. For in this most holy and supremely excellent Sacrament, faith and love take precedence and work in a hidden manner. God, eternal, incomprehensible, and infinitely powerful, does great and inscrutable things in heaven and on earth, and there is no searching into His marvelous works. If all the works of God were such that human reason could easily grasp them, they would not be called wonderful or beyond the power of words to tell."

Edit: This is true when the purpose is saving your soul. Studying logic or other subjects, as CatholicMamato5 said, is a very honorable thing because it means using the gift of intellect that God gave to men and, possibly, using it to make your point when you discuss with atheists or people of other religions. However, as CatholicMama said we're not all called to be Aquinas or St. Augustine.
"We thought we could stay healthy in a sick world" - Pope.

I do not understand anything this book teaches? Is that a problem?
I think it is a problem because it is important to understand deductive reasoning.
Embrace who God made you to be. I am so bad at math..will that prevent me from heaven? No.
This is my goal. Everything else does not matter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnaCarolina1's post:
  β€’ NoliTardare