Why are Evangelical Christians Obsessed with Israel?
Why are evangelical Christians so obsessed with Israel and so friendly with Jews when the Jews have blatantly rejected Christ and Israel is one of the most non-religious countries in the world (65% of Israelis are atheists)?

I don't understand why Americans are obsessed with the preservation of Israel and why we send billions of dollars there every year when we can barely feed and clothe our own people (especially our veterans). 

My dad, a boomer, says that Israel is our "greatest ally" and that they give us "lots of military secrets." (shrug emoji)
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

I post frankly and frequently about my struggles with Catholic teaching on sexuality and NFP. If this bothers you, kindly refrain from replying with an indignant screed and keep scrolling.
Many evangelical Protestants support Israel because of their bad exegesis (really eisegesis). They believe that God's promise to Abraham concerning physical Israel, still applies to physical Israel,  despite what St. Paul said in Romans 9:6. Some really extreme dispensational Prots (think John Hagee) seemingly believe there's a two track way to Heaven, again, despite what Scripture says.
[-] The following 3 users Like OfGuestsandGeists's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, newenglandsun, SeekerofChrist
I think because they are in serious error on several important points.
Lol, we give them military secrets out the wazoo, that is why they are still able to survive as a nation. Many evangelicals have the idea that America is hand picked by God Himself to have a defining part in salvation history. As Israel is the key nation in salvation history, that implies then that America must be tied to Israel. The extreme view of this is found in the mormons, but evangelicals really push it as well, the idea that America is a savior nation, destined to bring about a new age of Godliness in the world, to guide the world back to God etc.

Personally, I see it as them trying to fill the emptiness of leaving the true faith. THey severed their ties to Jesus and His church, so they latch onto something else. For them, its Israel (the last place Jesus was and where the bible is centered).
[-] The following 4 users Like Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • HailGilbert, Louis IX, SacraCor714, TheRock
(10-19-2021, 08:02 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Why are evangelical [Zionist] [c]hristians so obsessed with Israel and so friendly with Jews ...

Many who claim to read and believe the Bible are diabolically disoriented about the covenants, blessings and curses found therein, especially that as found in Genesis 12:3: "I will bless them that bless thee, and curse them that curse thee, and IN THEE shall all the kindred of the earth be blessed...." 

In connection with the aforementioned verse, here is something a '[c]hristian Zionist' (and oxymoron if there ever was one) actually once said: "I'll take my chances with the promise of Almighty God, made to Abraham, exercised thru Isaac and Jacob and his son Judah, to the present day legitimate heirs of the promised land, the Jews. When the winds blow against them, I'll stand with them, and if we both die in a pile of empty brass, we will have taken many of the enemy with us." (emphasis added)

Of course, the "enemy" referred to above could easily include practicing Catholics.

Nevertheless, there are four key points to consider to correctly understand this verse:

(1) It is critical to distinguish among the different covenants: Adamic, Noachic, Abrahamic, Levitic, Mosaic, Davidic, and New Covenants.
(2) [c]hristian Zionists consistently misidentify modern-day Jews with the present-day nation-state calling itself “Israel.”
(3) Nobody has ever been saved by their DNA; since the time of Adam, obedience to God was necessary.
(4) God made His covenant with Abram when he was a Gentile and was a Covenant with him and his spiritual descendants.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you be Christ’s, then are you the seed of Abraham, heirs according to the promise."  Galatians 3:28-29.

Modern-day Jews feign a carnal connection to Abraham, but Jesus damned that claim: “And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham for our father. For I tell you that God is able of these stones to raise up children to Abraham.” Matthew 3:9 In Genesis 12:3 God was not speaking to or about Jewish people because there was no Jewish nation—Abram, not yet Abraham, was still a Gentile and God was speaking to Abram alone about Abram’s spiritual lineage. St. Paul affirms in Galatians 3:6-8 that God’s covenant with Abram, later Abraham, was made to him as a Gentile: “As it is written: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him unto justice. Know ye therefore, that they who are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. And the scripture, foreseeing, that God justifieth the Gentiles by faith, told unto Abraham before: In thee shall all nations be blessed.”

St. Paul further elaborates on the justification of and covenant with Abraham before there were any Jews in Romans chapter 4.  In fact, even under Moses the “Israelites” were not called “Jews.” The word “Jew” does not appear in the Bible until a thousand years or more after Moses.

A clear reading of St. Paul should leave no room for confusion about the “root” and the “branches broken off.” Jesus Christ is the root. Both Jews and Gentiles were “branches.” Read Romans 11:19-25 carefully: [indent]“Thou [the Gentile Christians of Rome] wilt say then: The branches were broken off, that I [the Gentile Christians] might be grafted in.  Well: because of unbelief they [the Pharisees] were broken off. But thou standest by faith: be not highminded, but fear. For if God hath not spared the natural branches, fear lest perhaps he also spare not thee.  See then the goodness and the severity of God: towards them indeed that are fallen, the severity; but towards thee, the goodness of God, if thou abide in goodness, otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.  And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.  For if thou wert cut out of the wild olive tree, which is natural to thee; and, contrary to nature, were grafted into the good olive tree; how much more shall they that are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?  For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, of this mystery, (lest you should be wise in your own conceits), that blindness in part has happened in Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles should come in.”[/indent]

Why weren’t the Pharisees in the lineage of Abraham? (Matthew 3:9) Why did Moses “accuse” them? (John 5:45-47) Only faithful Israelites followed the law of God. Contrary to the claims of Judaizers, the Pharisees did not have “the moral law of God.” Instead, Jesus said that the Pharisees had voided the commandment of God for their own traditions. (Mark 7:9) The followers of the Pharisees (see Matthew 23:15) boast that theirs is not a biblical religion, but one of their own making.

The majority of both the Old and New Testaments tells of the defection of the Israelites and Pharisees. It is true Christians (faithful, practicing Catholics!) who are the true Jews, the true New Israel, the true lineage of Abraham and Moses, the New Chosen People (1 Peter 2:9-10), the ones who are “blessed” in Abraham’s lineage (Galatians 3:6-8 and Romans 4:13), the people of the New Covenant promised in Jeremias 31:31-32.  As St. Paul explains, the Abrahamic and Mosaic Covenants are fulfilled in those in the Faith, not by those who reject the Faith, who connived the judicial murder of their Redeemer, who called His Blood down on themselves and their generations (Matthew 27:25), who blaspheme Him today. DNA—whether real or phony— has nothing to do with God’s blessings today. Under the New Covenant, people are not blessed (or cursed) by their DNA, but by baptism, belief, and behavior. See Apocalypse 2:9 and 3:9 to understand who makes false claims to be God’s People. It is by their fruits of war, genocide, usury, fractional reserve banking, swindling, and other crimes against humanity that you know the ones God named in Apocalypse 3:9.
[-] The following 7 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • Blind Horus, Bushum, CaptCrunch73, choosetowitness, Grandma, Louis IX, SacraCor714
Much to do with the Eastern gate it seems . Christians also often make pilgrimage there , I guess as to achieve a physical sense . The tables have been turned over already so why go .
They think the notion that the Scriptural teaching that Israel has been made New in the Church is antisemitic and Hitlerian and cannot differentiate between an ethnic Jew and a religious Jew. I grew up Evangelical and I remember the high school pastor saying in a sermon once that St. Paul was not a Christian but a Jew.
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
Don't some EPs believe that Israel must rebuild the temple before the Second Coming can occur? Sounds a little twisted-masonic to me.
(10-19-2021, 08:58 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: They think the notion that the Scriptural teaching that Israel has been made New in the Church is antisemitic and Hitlerian and cannot differentiate between an ethnic Jew and a religious Jew.

I'm reminded of a time years ago that I gave an Evangelical friend an article pointing out that Rabbinic Talmudism as practised today is not the sacrificial religion of the Church of the Old Covenant. He read it, gave it back to me, and said, 'That was written by a Nazi'.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Lavenderson, SacraCor714
(10-20-2021, 02:22 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: 'That was written by a Nazi'.
What does it matter?