Georgetown University Hid Religious Symbols at White House Request
The White House made a simple request in order to be able to have the President of the United States visit a Catholic university without it appearing a promotion of Catholicism and thereby a breach in the separation of church and state. The President of the United States appearing with the name of the God of a particular religion is scandalous in terms of a decidedly secular nation. How this is a surprise to anyone is beyond me. It was a simple request. Perhaps for the future the President should only visit secular institutions, but I suppose at that point religious institutions would complain of "alienation". 
(04-17-2009, 02:46 PM)JonathanCid Wrote: The White House made a simple request in order to be able to have the President of the United States visit a Catholic university without it appearing a promotion of Catholicism and thereby a breach in the separation of church and state. The President of the United States appearing with the name of the God of a particular religion is scandalous in terms of a decidedly secular nation. How this is a surprise to anyone is beyond me. It was a simple request. Perhaps for the future the President should only visit secular institutions, but I suppose at that point religious institutions would complain of "alienation". 

A truly Catholic institution would never acquiesce to such demands as to obscure what the institution stands for -- Christ and His Church.  This institution would have politely told the President and his entourage that a stage and a podium will be erected in open air at the campus.  End of story.  The veil separating church and state vanishes when such events are held in Church property.  Likewise, a bishop or prelate invited to speak on state premises cannot make similar improper demands.   
(04-17-2009, 03:07 PM)Vincentius Wrote:
(04-17-2009, 02:46 PM)JonathanCid Wrote: The White House made a simple request in order to be able to have the President of the United States visit a Catholic university without it appearing a promotion of Catholicism and thereby a breach in the separation of church and state. The President of the United States appearing with the name of the God of a particular religion is scandalous in terms of a decidedly secular nation. How this is a surprise to anyone is beyond me. It was a simple request. Perhaps for the future the President should only visit secular institutions, but I suppose at that point religious institutions would complain of "alienation". 

A truly Catholic institution would never acquiesce to such demands as to obscure what the institution stands for -- Christ and His Church.   This institution would have politely told the President and his entourage that a stage and a podium will be erected in open air at the campus.   End of story.   The veil separating church and state vanishes when such events are held in Church property.   Likewise, a bishop or prelate invited to speak on state premises cannot make similar improper demands.     

I understand that. I'm merely saying that if such an action would be contrary to what it means to be a true Catholic, then Catholic institutions should not invite secular leaders such as the President to their institutions. I'm simply saying that the White House didn't do anything improper here, specifically because of this:

Quote:Someone needs to tell the "White House" to stay away.

I don't even understand what the implications behind the quoting-unquoting are, but really? You're going to be angry with the White House?

Which is why Obama hosts a Seder meal, a specifically Jewish ceremony? I don't see your point.
The White House has retains privacy sorrounding the President's participation in any religious event. They're very careful about tip-toeing the line.
Hmm, lets see. Obama was a member of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church where "black liberation theology" was taught. The Jesuits and the Maryknolls invented "liberation theology". Georgetown covers IHS for his speech, and Fr. Reese cheerleads his very presence. Perhaps he is the 'omega point" that they have been waiting for. ???
A part of me agrees that it was a bad move for Georgetown to do this, despicable even. Then again, I could see people complaining if the letters weren't covered that Obama making a speech with the christogram so prominent, that he has some sort of messiah complex.
(04-17-2009, 03:31 PM)JonathanCid Wrote: The White House has retains privacy sorrounding the President's participation in any religious event. They're very careful about tip-toeing the line.

Um...a personally hosted and highly publicised seder meal? So much for privacy in participation.
Seders have become an almost cultural thing, and the seders held at the White House are held in private. The President's personally hosting reflects this. Could the President be the officiant of a Catholic Mass? No. The seder meals at the White House have been held as acts of hospitality, with a more conspicous image. The President visits Catholic institutions as well, but he can't have pictures taken with Jesus at his side and maintain his secular authority.

Quote:A part of me agrees that it was a bad move for Georgetown to do this, despicable even. Then again, I could see people complaining if the letters weren't covered that Obama making a speech with the christogram so prominent, that he has some sort of messiah complex.

I don't doubt that in the least. I think the idea is to complain, no matter what.
Quote:Seders have become an almost cultural thing, and the seders held at the White House are held in private. The President's personally hosting reflects this. Could the President be the officiant of a Catholic Mass? No. The seder meals at the White House have been held as acts of hospitality, with a more conspicous image. The President visits Catholic institutions as well, but he can't have pictures taken with Jesus at his side and maintain his secular authority.
Judaism is a religion, not a race or a culture.

Would he tell Jews to remove their symbols? Would he tell Muslims? Would he tell Planned Parenthood?

This sort of separation is reserved only for Christians.