Pepsi Co.
(06-07-2009, 04:12 PM)Paloma Wrote: Oh for pete's sake.  Its SODA.  Just soda.   :laughing:

One of my biggest pet peeves as a server/bartender were people that made a huge deal over coke/pepsi products.

*GASP*  Heresy!

That's almost like saying that beer is just beer!

Almost, though not quite...
(06-07-2009, 03:40 PM)Underdog Wrote: It's always so annoying when you order a coke, and the person taking your order asks, "Would Pepsi be all right?"  You end up having to say, "Sure." when really you want to say, No, no it would not.  Get your butt down the block and find me a coke, darnit. 

Not me! I simply change my order. Pepsi tastes like sh*t! When Coke brought out 'New Coke'  in '85 to make their product taste more like Pepsi, I simply boycotted all Coke products until they brought the old formula back.
(06-08-2009, 11:51 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(06-07-2009, 03:40 PM)Underdog Wrote: It's always so annoying when you order a coke, and the person taking your order asks, "Would Pepsi be all right?"  You end up having to say, "Sure." when really you want to say, No, no it would not.  Get your butt down the block and find me a coke, darnit. 

Not me! I simply change my order. Pepsi tastes like sh*t! When Coke brought out 'New Coke'  in '85 to make their product taste more like Pepsi, I simply boycotted all Coke products until they brought the old formula back.

True.  Sometimes I order DP instead.  :)
(06-08-2009, 11:51 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

A boycott that worked!

Anyways, I am the same way. I will easily change my order if all they have is Pepsi. I prefer RC or the elusive Green Mountain.
There is no real difference. If people are blinded, and they do a/the taste test with 3 samples, they consistently demonstrate that they're "preference" is 100% marketing. Statistically speaking of course. I'm sure everyone here who has voiced strong opinions are the exceptions, of course, of course.
I think it has everything to do with religion and nothing to do with marketing.
1) Trad Cats like original formula coke because it is original and traditional
2) Liberal “catholics” like wacky soda, as long as it’s new and innovative, like crystal clear pepsi or new coke
3) Conservative catholics like new and innovative soda, like crystal clear pepsi or new coke as long as enough years have passed to make it look not so wacky any more.

4) Mormons like any soda as long as there’s no caffeine
5) Muslims like soda only if it will slowly kill off the infidel population. To drink it is probably forbidden in the Koran
6) For Anglicans, the penalty for heresy is death or coke, Your choice.
a) as a side note, the Episcopalians started using the term “death or pepsi”. This may cause schism within the Anglican communion
7) The Orthodox want a council called between the pope and all patriarchs before making a decision which soda they like best
8) For Calvinists, any soda is acceptable to drink as long as the individual gains no joy in drinking the soda and only drinks it for bodily nourishment
(06-18-2009, 01:16 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: I think it has everything to do with religion and nothing to do with marketing.
1) Trad Cats like original formula coke because it is original and traditional
2) Liberal “catholics” like wacky soda, as long as it’s new and innovative, like crystal clear pepsi or new coke
3) Conservative catholics like new and innovative soda, like crystal clear pepsi or new coke as long as enough years have passed to make it look not so wacky any more.

5) Muslims like soda only if it will slowly kill off the infidel population. To drink it is probably forbidden in the Koran
6) For Anglicans, the penalty for heresy is death or coke, Your choice.
a) as a side note, the Episcopalians started using the term “death or pepsi”. This may cause schism within the Anglican communion
7) The Orthodox want a council called between the pope and all patriarchs before making a decision which soda they like best
8) For Calvinists, any soda is acceptable to drink as long as the individual gains no joy in drinking the soda and only drinks it for bodily nourishment

+1
(06-18-2009, 01:16 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: I think it has everything to do with religion and nothing to do with marketing.

Common misconception: Mormons have zero problem with caffeine. They own a significant portion of PepsiCo stock for example. Pepsi has caffeine.

Mormons generally drink a lot of soda actually, immoderately in my experience, perhaps because they don't drink booze they 'compensate,' (?)dunno, anyway, Mormons do not have any sort of anti-caffeine edict or dietary restriction. They drink plenty of soda.
easy luvenalis, it was a joke. This whole thing is about stereotypes not truth.

a few more examples ...

1) Today “charismatic” catholics enjoy the refreshing taste of goat pee. Tommorow they might like Pepsi, depending on what "the spirit" says.
2) Sedevacantists say there has not been a valid coke since new coke was introduced. They object to the Novus Coca and believe that even the new "original formula" is tainted. The Coke is only valid it was sent down the orginal assembly line.
3) Scientologists prefer the taste of Dr Pepper, because it's a doctor and it sounds scientific. For enough money, they'll switch to another drink.
(06-06-2009, 03:05 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I don't drink Pepsi (unless it's the only option) because they're prottys.

Pepsi Cola was so named because it's an anagram of Episcopal.

Heretic soda.

No it was named pepsi because it was originally touted as a treatment for dyspepsia.  I've read this in multiple places, and we studied it in business school.